After closing...

I've been taking care of my pool this Summer thanks to this forum. I am going to have a pool company close the pool for me, though. My pool currently uses a tarp cover with water bags. I had a some questions for maintenance after the pool is closed:

• * I understand the need to keep water off the cover and keep down the accumulation of leaves. I have used a non-automatic little giant for water removal in the past, but it is VERY slow. What are some recommended automatic cover pumps that would work reasonably well on my size of pool? The Rule 1800 looked good, but there are a lot of people on Amazon that seem to have had horrible problems with it...

* The pool company offers a monthly winter maintenance package to clean off water and debris (which I plan to do myself with a pump and a leaf blower) and add chlorine and algaecide "to help maintain the water chemistry". I'd like to take care of any of this myself. Is the addition of chlorine and algaecide a good idea? If so, how should it be done without the pump running? What level of chlorine should I maintain, and how do I determine whether I need to add algaecide?

* Should I shock my pool prior to closing as some of the do it yourself postings suggest, or should I just let the pool company do their work?

Thanks for the help!

--Al

When seeking winterizing advice it's nice if you post your general location.

I just siphon off as much water as I can and then use a leaf blower to blow off the rest and the leaves.

If you can't siphon it off then using a pump would be a good idea. It's sad about the Rule pump because they make some of the best marine bilge pumps. I don't know why they can't get the pool cover pump right.

The Wayne pump looks promising. I'd probably try one of those.

Thanks for the replies about the cover pump. I appreciate them :-D .

Can anyone comment on the second part of my posting? Do I need to be adding chlorine and algaecide during the winter as the pool company says they will do (for a fee...), or is this a waste of time? If so, how does one go about it? I can test for chlorine with my test kit, but does it need to be higher or lower than when the pool is open? How do I determine if the algaecide level is correct?

Thanks--

Al

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.