Ancient Teledyne Laars Mark V heater

theH6

Aug 28, 2013
I've got an ancient Teledyne Laars Mark V heater. The pool and equipment were here when we bought the house 18 year ago and I wouldn't be surprised if this heater was installed in 1978 when the original owner built the pool.

We never use the heater. We live in Southern California and have solar so we don't really need it. The outside of the heater has gotten so faded that I can't read the label on the on/off switch. Is the heater on when the switch is up or down? I probably should just turn off the gas to the equipment, but I might want to actually turn it on and see if it is working someday. I'm currently preoccupied with installing a new variable speed pool pump and then I've got other deferred maintenance, so it probably won't be any time soon.

Thanks.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

My Teledyne Laars heater isn't that old, but it is circa 1990 or so. On mine, the heater is on when the switch is up. I have been told that these heaters are well built and to hang on to them for as long as possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.