Newbie with cyanuric acid sky high

Aug 26, 2013
Hello! I am new. My cya level is extremely high.

cya=173 :shock: Confirmed by pool store and cya strip test. (Pool store uses ClearCare Expert and strips to compare, I don't know if that matter or not.) I know they can be inaccurate, but I really do think it is pretty high. We have gone through two boxes of granular shock from Sam's Club this year with fighting algae, without realizing what that adds. We also put a bunch of pucks in our floater and one in the basket, on top of already having a cya=90. So I think that along with using some granular shock really skyrocketed our cya level.

So, my main question is, if I drain the pool below the basket level and add new water in for a few nights, do you think we can get the cya level lowered? What have you found? We do not have a pump to pump water lower than below the basket level. So, I figure if we do that a few nights, while circulating fresh water in, that we can eventually get the cya level lower? (I am wondering how long this may take, removing and adding, if you have experience.)

Last question, should we stop adding bleach if our FC=14.39 with the cya level what it is? I know the FC should be higher to reach shock level, but with cya so out of hand, it seems like a lost cause to even bother with FC right now. Correct? Once we get the cya level at 50, I plan to slam the pool. I have been adding a jug of bleach a night just to keep the algae some what under control.

I will be buying the full tf100 test next year, too close to the end of season here. I do have the FAS-DPD being shipped. Thanks for any and all help!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

bjb4ohio said:
cya=173 :shock: Confirmed by pool store and cya strip test.
Well, "confirmed" is probably not the right word since neither are a trusted source for CYA testing accuracy. What test kit did you buy? Just the FAS-DPD test and not a full kit? You need to confirm the CYA ... you could get the HTH 6-way from walmart for the rest of this season. You should have just ordered the TF-100 now.

Replacing water is a % thing. Replace 10%, lower the CYA by 10%. It is going to take MANY 4-6" drains to get your CYA lowered as much as required. You can rent submersible pumps from Home Depot or even buy a cheap one from Harbor Freight that will allow you to do a larger drain which will use less water ... but you need to know the correct CYA level first.

Maintaining at least some FC in the water will help prevent too much algae from taking hold and make the SLAM process quicker. Or you could save the bleach for now and just use it for the SLAMing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.