Funny Air Problem

Aug 28, 2013
Hello- See if I can explain this properly- Underground pool.
We added a new pump this season to replace an old one, had the pool store do it , I bought the pump myself, direct replacement. Also new Jandy valve
Seem to be getting a lot of bubbles in the filter basket, but just on top ( swirling) New connections from return to the filter itself. I checked the connection at the Jandy Valve, out of pump, multi port and in/out on the Sta-Rite sand filter.
All O rings seem fine, triple checked BUT am getting air in the sandfilter. After about 2 hours running, no pressure building, but I can release a LOT of air from the top valve on the filter, as if 1/2 the filter is full of air.
We see no air coming from the return into the pool.
I've been correcting this problem now by leaving the air valve on top of the filter open slightly to release the extra air.
Again, no pressure building up on the gauge but a lot of air.

Have not opened or checked the filter, it's the older two piece filter with the knobs around the middle type thing. Filter seems to work, shows about 19 pounds. Probably open it up next season, hasn't been opened in a year, last check sand was OK. More concerned about the air.

We do shut the pool down every night and the level in the filter basket stays full, showing that we aren't leaking at night and retains some internal pressure-

SO... thought on the air problem, or is there one. Pool guy said it's OK as long as you don't get the water level to low in the filter basket. BUT why the air ?

Thanks-
Colorado pool

Welcome to TFP.

You have a suction side air leak. Have you removed and resealed the drain plugs?
Have you lubed the pump basket seal well with pool lube?
Have you checked the suction port fitting on the pump for leaking?

Once you find and fix the leak, you won't be getting air in the filter any more.

Welcome to tfp, Outlawhistory :wave:

Bama beat me, but here are my comments:

Air in the pump filter basket is usually a suction side leak (water coming from pool to pump section). Did you lube the cover o-ring well and are the pump drain plugs well sealed?

If it is a leak on the suction side, the most common places other than the two mentioned above are at any joints on the suction side. Running water over each joint while seeing if the air reduces in the pump basket can help diagnose where the leak is.

Other things it could be are low water level or a stuck skimmer weir allowing air to be sucked in at skimmer.

Thanks, did all the above with Magic Lube, but no, not the two pump drains. Really worked over the connection from Jandy v to the pump, even can run it with out the tightening nut off and the connection stays firm no water or air. Even covered the connection with Magic Lube for good measure and retightened.
I'll try the little pump drains, then water bath idea. The return line, from the skimmer, was pressure tested two years ago when we did some work on the return to the pool.
Frustrating. Such a simple operation.

Appreciate the answers, I like working on the stuff myself, as much as I can.

So far no improvement. Somehow I think it may be the basket fitting ? Last clear cap screwed on, this has a locking type fitting. Only reason I say this, there seems to be a significant air leak, should be obvious I'd think. Don't know what to say at this point. The basket stays full all night under a little pressure, ? Pump impeller ?
Hmmm?

Not really, you get a bit of a vortex, but almost have to think about it, so small.
Maxi-flo 1 HP motor-
I have one outlet in the pool, about a 25,000 something pool, 17 X 34 or so, would have to look it up, forgot. Last pump was 12 years old, this is the same pump set up just new.
Pretty straight forward, skimer about 30 ' to the Jandy, into pump, out to Multiport, in to Sta-Rite System 3 sand fiter, out to return.

A thought, any suggestions on a lub to use on the filter basket top, as I say been using Magic Lube, wonder if there is something I can reallygoop on, on the ) ring.

( key board is acting up sorry for the writing )

We had some issues with the weir door last year, stopping suction by staying closed. It appears to be " floating " open OK now. I can double check. So if the weir door is being off, it can start a vortex. Hmmmm. Could be and I don't even know it.
Possibly the new pump is drawing stronger and causing a flow ( vortex ) issue. Something like closing the Jandy valve slightly and creating turbulence.
Other then float a piece of wood or something in the skimmer box, can't think how to correct the situation ?
Ideas ? I'll check the weir...

Again, thanks-

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HMMMMM, went out and played with the weir door, really contols the flow, a LOT. As I said we've had problems with the door, but mainly due to water level and the way the door was opening. I can see vortex in the skimmer box AND after watching the turbulence could see small bubbles forming here and there. The pool is a little low now too.
May be on to something here- Be back after I raise the pool level, probably tomorrow.
Interesting !!!

Wonderful about an 70% improvement in loss of air in the system. At the point where I feel OK in running it without worry-
Hey thanks everyone, this is a great & helpful site. That's some deep knowledge about checking the vortex in the skimmer !!!!!!
I do the same for people on the old car sites, with problems.

Have a good Fall & Winter-

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.