Indicator Solutions in Pool

Aug 28, 2013
I'm interested in anybody's opinion on tossing indicator solutions into a pool or spa after completing the test. As a previous state bathing place inspector I was always taught (and I taught in my training classes) that is is rude to toss the test chemicals into the pool. After all, would you like if someone spilled wine into your pool? I complained to a local pool care company about their personnel who do that, and they just laughed, saying it has no effect on the pool. I disagree. What say you?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

We do not recommend dumping test reagents or pool samples with reagents in them into the pool. Dump all reagents & pool sample/reagent mixes down a sink drain with the tap water running.

I wouldn't want some of the chems in the pool. A few of the reagents are poison. While it's likely never to build up enough to be an issue it's just bad practice. A commercial company that allows it's employees to do that is accepting a huge liability.

The amount of reagent that would go into a pool from a normal test is STUNNINGLY small....somewhere around one in 200 million if I WAGged the math closely on an average 20k pool.

Nevertheless, I would consider it poor practice for a professional to do it. Villageman's description of "rude" is probably more apt than any harm that would come from it.

To laugh at a customer like that is the height of unprofessionalism. If the management of that company didn't agree when I called that in, they would be fired on the spot. No question about it for me. Dumping reagents in a pool/spa is just bad practice. Period.

PS- I forgot my manners. Welcome to TFP Villageman!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.