TF Test Kits -- FAS/DPD Test Method

Jun 2, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Hey guys, just some basic questions to make sure my methodology is right here. Actually saw my chlorine hold overnight for the first time so maybe I'm making progress. I went through a bottle of R-0871 in 5 days !

I'm keeping my pool at shock levels so I'm using a lot of drops each time in testing the FC level. Instead of swirling after every drop, when I know those first 20 drops aren't going to make a color change, is there any reason I can't add 5 drops at a time ? Or even 10 ? And then swirl ? Certainly makes for a faster process but I want to make sure it doesn't skew the result.

Also, the heaping scoop of the DPD powder. Does the amount of that powder not affect the test in any major way ? One heap to the next obviously isn't exactly the same. Just want to make sure on that point too.

I add chlorine (bleach) in front of the return jet every time so it gets dispersed. Should I take my chlorine sample from the same spot in the pool each time as well for consistency ?

Thanks for your feedback. Still new to all this.

Steve

Steve,

Everything you're doing is cool. 8) 8)

If I know pretty close what my FC is, I add 10, 20 drops simultaneously to get it close and then do the swirl after each drop as I get close.

The purpose of the powder is to turn the solution pink. As long as it does that, the amount is fine. If it does not, you need to add more.

I (pre-LQ) put my chlorine in thru the skimmer. I feel it distributes a little quicker and more evenly than in front of the returns. That's mostly personal preference and your way is just fine. The CL should be evenlye distributed in your pool one hour or so after application.

Many thanks !

I ask a lot of questions in whatever I'm trying to do. I don't know any other way to learn when someone isn't there showing me in person. Sometimes the details do count so I thought I'd ask those things today. Appreciate the hand holding.

Will be placing my order for more reagents. I hope to get to where I can test once a day after my water clears. For now, I'm testing like a madman.....haha.

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.