shutting the pool down

Aug 2, 2013
Hi all,

I'm a very new owner of a salt water pool. Its just been built and new water pumped in. As this is our holiday home we are not there very often and during the winter months October-May it would'nt be warm enough to use the pool, so we plan to close it and cover it up.

I've been given conflicting information about what to do with the pool once closed. One person said I need to keep the pumps running all year round, whilst another said I just need to put in some anti algae stuff, cover it and switch off the pumps until next year.

I like the sound of the second option as this would reduce the electric bill massively. Just wondered what others do on here when the pool is closed.

thanks. :-D

That's going to depend a lot on the climate and the type of cover. If the water stays above about 60F and the cover allows any light in, you will have a swamp to clear when you are ready to use the pool again if you shut it down.

If the pool is in a climate that usually does not get a deep freeze you can get a timer for the pump and set it to run overnight, but once the water temperature drops below 60 and stays there the SWG will not produce chlorine. Running the pump 4-6 hours with a timer will not use a lot of power.

If you choose to close the pool do it after the water temp drops below 60.

shabba007 said:
The area is Tuscany. The winters can be quite cold, occasional snow, buy typically 40-60f during december, January, February.

If freezing is a possibility, you either need to blow all the water from the lines, cap them and drain the equipment or have a timer that turns the pump on when the temperature approaches freezing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.