CYA absorption rates - and time between adjustments

gatorbrit

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2013
Raleigh,NC
I need to bring my CYA up a bit (it was at 30 and I was burning through Chlorine) before you ask - I did SLAM, and passed all three tests - OCLT was <1ppm.

Anyhow, I added some a day ago, and went to re-test and noticed a small improvement. I was in the process of adding more and I put it in a bucket and added water first. Surprise surprise it just sat there.

This was a major epiphany for me. CYA takes several days to dissolve and therefore, you shouldn't keep adding more to get to your target without letting a day or three pass between dosing.

Am I correct in my thought process? (The last thing I want to do is over dose my pool on CYA. Last time I did that I had to drain part of it!)

We recommend hanging the CYA in a sock in front of the return jet so you know when it is all dissolved. You should also wait around a week after it is dissolved before you re-test.

My understanding of things, if I have read Chemgeek's posts correctly is that even once the CYA is dissolved, you still have to wait a few days for it to show on the test as it still must chemically convert in the water to the form the test shows.

Isaac-1 said:
My understanding of things, if I have read Chemgeek's posts correctly is that even once the CYA is dissolved, you still have to wait a few days for it to show on the test as it still must chemically convert in the water to the form the test shows.

I think this is crucial - it would be easy to keep making adjustments thinking that the adjustments are not working.

OK, I read back through the post. It looks like I said it would take 5-8 day's max to test your water. What I "meant" was 5-8day's for it to dissolve. :hammer: My bad.

Actually I started this on the 18th, 10 day's ago. It dissolved in about 3-days. My CYA is still CREAPING up . . . . Around 36 now.

Didn't mean to create any confusion :oops: just offering my 2-cents as it might help someone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.