Help with ignition problem on my heater

flyboy320

Jul 23, 2009
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I have a Jandy legacy natural gas heater that is giving me an ignition fault and will not light. I have followed this problem flow chart from this link (click on downloads tab, and it's on the bottom of the page under H0299500.pdf) and it seems I am not getting voltage between ground and where the brown wire connects to the gas valve (this is on page 41 of the pdf). I followed the troubleshooting parts up to the Gas Valve Voltage (10.4.3.6) and everything prior to this is OK.

So my thinking id it's either the ignition control module or the circuit board that it hooks up to. Is there a way to tell which of these might be the problem?

Hey Airbus guy,

Just a couple of thoughts before you replace a module or a circuit board, you've backwashed recently so that you have best possible water pressure & flow into the heater, right? And, my heater mechanic tells me that since the heater's generally working with just millivolts DC, good clean electrical connections are essential.

Good luck!

Ya I checked the flow or pressure module and it's detecting flow OK, (measured with voltmeter and verified by turning pump off and it then gives a low flow error). I also pulled wire connectors for various parts and they all seem good (also got a good 65 ohm reading across the hot plate ignitor, so it should be good).

It's funny, worked fine a few weeks ago, and now nothing....

Heaters are my shortcoming. I've been able to do what you've done - read the manual, check for water pressure & flow, make sure the connections are OK, make sure the gas is on, and make sure the pilot is lit* (mine has a standing pilot). Then if it still doesn't work, I've got to call in the heater mechanic.

Maybe a heater expert will come along and offer some suggestions.

Cheers!

*make sure the pilot is lit - I'm an old C-141 guy. Having the pilot lit is good for heaters, bad for airplanes, OK for layovers....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.