Solar cover size-one big one or two smaller ones

Jun 14, 2013
After recent August cold spell, I'm now wishing I had a solar cover. My biggest reason for not buying one earlier is I didn't want to deal with drudge of putting on and off, my pool is @ 20x40 and being cheap I don't want to buy the reeling system.

Then I found the solar rings and thought they'd be a good option, but then found a lot of bad reviews, plus they were pricey.

The solar rings, however, made me wonder if I couldn't just buy two smaller solar covers to make removing easier. Since the solar ring ads state that 100% of the surface water shouldn't be covered.

I'm curious if anyone out there has done this-using two smaller solar covers vs. one big one. Being new to pools, I guess I'm looking for a little validation that my idea is not too ridiculous. Thanks!

Janelle said:
After recent August cold spell, I'm now wishing I had a solar cover. My biggest reason for not buying one earlier is I didn't want to deal with drudge of putting on and off, my pool is @ 20x40 and being cheap I don't want to buy the reeling system.

Then I found the solar rings and thought they'd be a good option, but then found a lot of bad reviews, plus they were pricey.

The solar rings, however, made me wonder if I couldn't just buy two smaller solar covers to make removing easier. Since the solar ring ads state that 100% of the surface water shouldn't be covered.

I'm curious if anyone out there has done this-using two smaller solar covers vs. one big one. Being new to pools, I guess I'm looking for a little validation that my idea is not too ridiculous. Thanks!
A 20 x 20 cover is still going to be heavy. Where are you going to put them once you get them off? I reel mine and cover it to protect the rolled up cover. Your idea is fine, I'm just questioning the execution so to speak.

I have a 18 x 38 with a reel. For your pool I would buy the reel. I would also buy one of the commercial models since you have a really big cover. Otherwise, you may have problems getting it on and off with one person.

I looked at the rings and decided a cover was a better way to go. Since the rings leave water exposed they have to say it's okay. I don't have a problem with a full cover.

My $.02

I've seen people use two covers instead of one, but usually because they are limited in where they can place a reel. Its usually when stairs are at one end, and diving board is at the other. So they put two smaller reels on the side.

Solar rings are not going to be as effective in keeping in heat. Wherever there is exposed water, there will be heat escaping. My advice would be to buy a reel. Solar covers are a major pain in the butt. The reel makes it pretty easy.

If there will be a second person around when you take the cover off the pool, its not too bad without a reel as long as there is room to pull it up onto the deck about 4 feet at a time.

I have had my 20x44 pool for 18 years. I like warmer water. I swim more, so it's worth the hassle of taking the cover on and off. Over the years, I have had experience with three different reel systems and two weight of covers.

The biggest impact on USING the cover is the combination of weight of cover AND a commercial reel. It is hard to reel the cover if you do not have a commercial reel with TWO handles. Example: http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00100008032557.htm

I had a 12ml cover...it was too heavy. 8ml is easier to handle, cheaper, and still keeps the water warmer. I just plan to replace more often. I reel it off in the morning and reel it on at night. Cover the entire reel and cover with a long piece of marine vinyl when it's all reeled up. The cover keeps the cover from breaking down from the sunlight. It's all part of my routine.

P.S. The pole will bend from the weight of the cover. Make sure you buy the recommended size and do not buy a thick mil solar cover. :lol:

I deal with solar covers on a lot of my pools. The ones that are not bad to work with are the ones where they bought a good reel, and did it right. All the rest are a major pain in the butt. Don't cheap out and buy some $100 gimmick. If you could do the job well for $100, why would anyone buy a more expensive reel? Your best bet is to just bite the bullet and get a good reel setup. Anything else you do will be a waste of money, and eventually you will reach the conclusion you need to buy a good reel anyway.

A pool reel won't work in many situations. In my case the $100 gimmick works much better than any reel. My pool is an odd shape and has a rock wall and waterfall along one side. By cutting the cover into several sections its manageable to move and one can carry it out of the pool area to my storage area. You can't roil a reel over a stone pathway across a lawn.

No doubt products like the solar roller are more work than a pool reel. However, some don't want a industrial looking reel on their deck and for some a reel won't work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.