Winterizing chemicals?

May 16, 2011
PA
SE Pennsylvania, 25kgal in-ground salt pool with mesh cover: I'm starting to get the catalogs with winterizing chemical specials. Most of them don't even say what is in the kits. Others say they include non-chlorine shock and "other chemicals to prevent algae, and control stain and scale."

I don't have any metal fixtures other than the rim of a single 20-year-old underwater light, and I guess the stainless threads on return line plugs I'll be putting in. So I don't even know if I'm susceptible to stain or scale.

Do I need anything other than an aglaecide? And which algaecides are best for winterizing?

Are any kits a good idea, or are they all gimmicky?

dbooksta said:
...And which algaecides are best for winterizing?

Great time to be asking this question because Amazon has the good stuff for the cheapest price I have seen this year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030B ... UTF8&psc=1

I just bought some for closing this year and next as well. Not sure what the shelf life is or I might have bought more.

Regards,

Jay

griffths said:
dbooksta said:
...And which algaecides are best for winterizing?

Great time to be asking this question because Amazon has the good stuff for the cheapest price I have seen this year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030B ... UTF8&psc=1

I just bought some for closing this year and next as well. Not sure what the shelf life is or I might have bought more.

Regards,

Jay

So this is the right stuff ? Are we sure ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll piggyback on this one.

If I'm using the BBB method, do I still need to get Anti-freeze for the pipes? If yes, can you recommend a particular brand or type? I'll likely order through Amazon unless the vendors on this site stock those items.

Anything else I need to stock besides bleach/chlorine for the closing? Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.