To drain or not to drain when winterizing

Jun 14, 2013
Hi All,
This will be my first time closing. I've read several blogs on the how to winterize and they all pretty much say the same thing, except I've found a difference when it comes to water level. Pool school says to drain water to below return jets and add anti-freeze. I've seen another site that says as long as lines are properly blown out and the right gizmos etc are used, draining is not necessary, nor is antifreeze. My pool is vinyl with no tile at top.

The previous owners had water drained below skimmer, but not below return lines. Gizmos etc were used, as well as antifreeze. It seems to me that antifreeze can't hurt and would actually be a good safeguard. This may be obvious, but where do I pour the anti-freeze in... the pump?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can winterize or blow out the lines without draining--- HOWEVER you want to drain at least enough to allow for the snow and rain during the fall, winter and spring --- otherwise your pool will overflow.

In CT I drain several pools I work on just below all the returns to make 100% sure all water is out of the pipes -- and to account for snow and rain fill.

If you have coping it can also pop off if you get too much water and a freeze.

In summary I think the benefits of draining at least below the returns is best.

If you have a spa you gotta drain and get all the water out of the spa drains -- then plug and refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.