Hayward Pump won't spin

May 13, 2013
So I went outside to clean out my filter basket, only to find the pump completely off and the breaker blown. I've had this issue in the past, so I reset the breaker and attempted to turn on the pump. Just a hum for about 5 seconds, then the breaker went again.

I took the motor off of the pump housing, and I'm not able to turn the impeller at all with my hand. I haven't tried taking the back off and moving it with a wrench, but I wager that is my next move. I'm not sure what to do after that...

I got the back off, and there is a lot of corrosion back there. I'm not able to get the screw off the capacitor to gain access to the shaft bolt. I'm thinking I'm pretty hosed here and will be looking at replacing the motor entirely.

On a side note, I've watched a bunch of Super Pump related videos on YouTube trying to diagnose this issue, and it seems like all those impellers spin freely with little effort. Was just confused about that...

macgulley said:
I'd say if you can't turn the impeller by hand you probably have a bearing seized. You may be able to find a local electric motor shop that can rebuild it for much less than a new motor.
+1!

My local guys, Virginia Pump, have saved my bacon more than once with a repair. These guys so much understand that pumps/pump motors are part of critical infrastructure (even for residential pool owners) that they mostly do same-day turnaround.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.