Huntsville, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I was away for about a week and a half and came home to very cloudy water. There was a couple of storms with heavy rain. I had someone monitoring the water levels only for me. I ran out and checked Chlorine levels and ruled out algae. When chlorine levels were good, I called a friend, went to pool store to buy the same stuff he uses. I tried Fiber Clear filter aid and a clarifier over night. I saw no difference so went for a full set of tests:

FC 7 (I moved my generator up about 10% before I left)
CC 0
PH 8 (or slightly higher)
TA 70
CYA 60

Can high PH alone make water that cloudy? If so, once I add the muratic acid to lower, how long before it should clear if running pump 24 x 7?

I know that those chemicals are not necessary and now am considering a floc to speed up. This is the first time since we've owned the pool when we did not have crystal clear water.

You need to SLAM your pool Following that article precisely will clear your pool.

Alternatively, you can continue to buy stuff from the pool store hoping something good will happen. The chances are quite high you will continue to get the same results you have been getting.

A little Pool Store advice blended in with a little TFP advice will fail virtually every time. You need to decide which path to take but don't take both.

Duraleigh, so shock the pool even though there doesnt appear to be algae? I have never bought pool store chemicals until this time and only decided to do it to speed things up. I have been over and over pool school but I guess i had it in my mind that bringing a pool to shock level was needed to kill algae and that my test results ruled that out? Is that a bad assumption?

9needawin said:
Duraleigh, so shock the pool even though there doesnt appear to be algae? I have never bought pool store chemicals until this time and only decided to do it to speed things up. I have been over and over pool school but I guess i had it in my mind that bringing a pool to shock level was needed to kill algae and that my test results ruled that out? Is that a bad assumption?
Yes. You can have algae living in the pool that is below the threshold of being visible. I'd bring the FC up a bit and do the OCLT to confirm. You likely will confirm it, and you can start the SLAM process after that.

Bama Rambler said:
How did you decide that you didn't need to SLAM?
Did you run an OCLT?
I notice that you didn't include a CH result. Maybe you should test it just in case.

Bama, I ruled it out because FC looks good with a 0 CC. I didnt do CH because the pool is vinyl.

9needawin said:
Bama Rambler said:
How did you decide that you didn't need to SLAM?
Did you run an OCLT?
I notice that you didn't include a CH result. Maybe you should test it just in case.

Bama, I ruled it out because FC looks good with a 0 CC. I didnt do CH because the pool is vinyl.
The OCLT will tell you for certain. If your FC dropped at some point while you were gone and the algae got a foothold it can survive as your SWG brought the FC back up. You can have algae with 0 CC.

I was on vacation for two weeks. My friends let the FC drop. They raised it back up but I came home to green walls and perfectly clear water.

I was away for about a week and a half and came home to very cloudy water
That's the reason to SLAM the pool. The test results are tools that we use but your pool management sense should tell you that 1.5 weeks of virtually no maintenance and cloudy water calls for a SLAM....no doubt.

While CH isn't a problem if it's low it can be if it gets too high. I don't imagine that's your problem, but in the vein of good and thorough testing you should run it every once in a while.

Having some FC and zero CC's doesn't mean that there's not a problem. You should at very least, run an OCLT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC at 24 at 8pm and FC at 24 at 6 am.

Still cloudy but much better than yesterday. I am not adding any more chlorine and still have my SWG unplugged to let the chlorine level to drop back down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.