TF-100 Test results - Brand new IG fresh water

gmmastertech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2013
Southern Ohio
I recently built a DIY that is getting close to the concrete decking being poured. The liner was installed and filled with water about 2 weeks before all the plumbing was done and the pump running. In that time, I added about 1/2 gallon of 7.8% chlorine from bleach every evening. Once I got everything done and set up, I let the pump run for about 48 hours on low speed while adding a gallon of bleach in the evenings because the chlorine was very low still. I also had 0 CYA. 2 nights ago I put 6lbs. of granulated stabilizer in the skimmer. I put 1 gallon of bleach in it that night and last night and tonight (24 hours later) these are my readings:
FC 5
CC 0
TA 120
PH 7.2 I have the deck jets on now to help aerate?
CYA 30 - This will mostly likely increase due to the fact stabilizer was put in only 2 days ago
CH 230
The water looks pretty clear and you can easily see right to the 5' bottom when you stand over it. When you look across the other side out of the pool you can't really see anything, but I also have the black granite liner. The problem is, it just doesn't have that "sparkle". When you are underneath the water, you can barely see 2 feet in front of you. This is the first pool I've built and maintained. All recommendations are greatly appreciated. On a good note, the chlorine level looks great considering it was added 24 hours ago. This is a pic of the water I took yesterday:
[attachment=1:22pixybc]image (5).jpeg[/attachment:22pixybc][attachment=0:22pixybc]image (6).jpeg[/attachment:22pixybc]

Attachments

• image (5).jpeg
    image (5).jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 95
  • image (6).jpeg
    image (6).jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 95
First, I would guess your volume is closer to 18k gallons ... and the 6 lbs of stabilizer should get you to around 40ppm.

All in all your numbers look good. You could try an OCLT to see if anything may have started in the pool in the early days with no filtration. But, it could just be that you need to run the pump a little more to filter the debris.

Looks pretty sparkly in your pics though ;)

Thank you! Do you think I should run the pump on low speed 24 hours a day for the next few days? That's nice, I just noticed under the pump I have a constant drip between the pump and motor. Brand-new Tri-Star. Unreal! Definitely not coming from the pipes dripping down either.

Definitely get that leak fixed before the bearings are damaged.

What do you use for a cleaner? You could try the pump on low for 24/7, but if the flow is not enough to stir up the bottom and you do not use some sort of cleaner, then the dirt will settle and get stirred up the next time you swim.

Well, that could certainly be your biggest problem.
Depends on the type you want (suction side, pressure side, robot, hand vacuum) and the $$$ you want to spend.
If you do not have a dedicated pressure side port, then that option is out.
If you do not have a dedicated suction port, then you would have to put the hose in the skimmer and thus lose the ability to skim at the same time, plus they may not work on low speed
Robots are nice as you do not need the pump on, but they are spendy.
Hand vacs are cheap, but more work.

Oh, so at least you have been vacuuming :goodjob:

So the 2 I had considered for a suction cleaner are the Polaris MX-8 and The Pool Cleaner. Supposed the PC can run on lower flow rates than just about any other suction cleaner, so there is a chance it could even work on low speed for you if you diverted all the flow from the suction port. Alternatively, if you had to run on high, you could keep more suction from the skimmer since the cleaner does not need as much flow. I would lean toward the PC.

Thanks. I did the OCLT last night but I didn't add any chlorine. I just used the number from last night which was FC 5. That was after 24 hours of adding chlorine. So, this morning would have been another 12 hours and I tested it at FC 4. This good? I figure I'll add a little chlorine this evening according to the pool calculator.

At that low off an initial FC, it is hard to say if you passed. The 1ppm criteria is based on stating at higher FC levels closer to shock level. But you also did not test at night, so may not have lost all 1ppm overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I misread, you did test the 5 last night and the 4 this morning, but I would be happier if you only lost 0.5ppm. Tonight I would target 10ppm (still before shock level), and test an hour after adding it. Leave the pump on and test in the morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.