Day 2 of BBB and I am using a lot of Chlorine...

gatorbrit

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2013
Raleigh,NC
I converted to BBB a few days ago. Drained pool about 50%, and adjusted all chems. SLAMed the pool (using recommended procedure)

Today I started the day with (all tests done with TF100 kit)
at 7am
FC of 6.5 (added 179 oz bleach last night)
CC 0
CYA 35-40.
Ph 7.3
TA 110

It was a sunny day, no swimmers, temps mid 80s.

Now 5:30pm
FC 0.5 :grrrr:
CC 0
CYA 35-40
Ph 7.3
TA 110.

To get up to 8 ppm CL pool calc suggests 204 oz of 8.25% bleach which I added - about a jug and a half.

Pool is crystal clear - absolutely sparkling. So what gives? Adding 1.5 jugs of bleach a day is going to get expensive.

I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Here are the results of the OCLT
Last night FC = 9.25
This am FC = 8.5
and CC =0

I think we passed the test.

My guess is that maybe I had some algae that has gotten eaten up over the past day or so by the Chlorine - and now it is gone. I think I will leave it today and see the loss again during the daylight hours. If I am still loosing a lot, then I will SLAM tonight just in case.

The other possibility must by my CYA which is in the 30-40 range. I might need to push that up a bit. But I will wait a day to do that.

Although this is a bit of a pain - now that I understand the process (thanks TFP) I now understand the interaction of the different factors that affect my water.

It's also pretty easy to get fooled on the CYA test. If you can see any hint of the dot in the tube, you need to add more liquid. HIgh chlorine loss during the day but not overnight sounds like your CYA is on the low side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: I started today with 8ppm FC, ended up with 2ppm. Still a 6ppm loss. I think this is because of my CYA. It is gradually coming up, but I am reluctant to adjust too frequently because of the time it takes for the CYA to absorb (see my post http://www.troublefreepool.com/cya-absorption-rates-and-time-between-adjustments-t69244.html)

So I will check the OCLT again tonight and keep an eye on consumption tomorrow.

Still - even with this tweaking going on the pool is clearer than it has ever been (it was installed in the spring).

Just an update. I still am only loosing less than 1 ppm overnight :-D

During the day I lost about 2ppm for FC (cloudy day) I went from 10 to 8. I will probably target 8ppm for tomorrow morning.

My CYA is 40.

All is well with the world. I think I have reached a stable and balanced pool - water is beautiful - Sparkling clean.

THANK YOU!!! Troublefreepool.com!!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.