What about around the pool??

DMAN11

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA area
Hey guys,

I was wondering, I spoke to someone about their deck around their pool. They just had the typical concrete. It looked very nice, and that's what we'll have too, but I was wondering. We have concrete stain work around our patio where our pool is going to be, and on our driveway out front of our house. We thought about putting matching stain around the pool coping area and around the deck area to tie everything in nicely. Someone mentioned to us that we shouldn't use stain with a SWG pool, that using coolcrete would be better??? Have you guys ever heard of or seen any problems with stained concrete around salt pools?? And is this coolcrete stuff good to use?? Any complaints or problems with it??

Thanks,,,,

DMAN <----still on the waiting list....

I bet someone does - I'm just not that guy. I've never seen anyone ask the question so it will be interesting to hear the responses. I have some kind of coolcrete stuff and I haven't had any issues with it. I've noticed a couple of very small hairline cracks but nothing major. To me it looks like the katchakid anchors are to blame for those.

I have a huge problem with my colored, stamped and stained concrete. I didn't actually begin using the pool until three to four weeks after the concrete was stained, but the color that was applied prior to the stamp washed off in some places, mottled or pooled in others in reaction to the water. I can see where my kids stood shortly after we began using the pool because there are voids in the color in a typical "I stood here wet" pattern. And where I pull the legend cleaner out of the pool has no stain left at all other than the colored concrete. I didn't seal it, as I was waiting until I had finished landscaping and didn't want to screw up the seal. So much for good intentions.

I will try to power wash it to remove the remaining stain, because it doesn't seem to want to wash off now. If you do color your concrete, have the installer seal it to avoid the problems I had. And don't get it wet until it sets. It seems three weeks was plenty of time for the stain to set, but it wasn't.

Thanks Tag,,,,,I think that may be the way we go is with the coolcrete stuff. Not sure yet, but sounds like it won't be affected too much by the salt water from the pool.

flintstone,,,,, thanks for your input. We already have the stain around our patio as I said, and it's been there for at least a year now, so I think it will be ok. It is all covered by a sealer over the stain. I was just wondering about doing around the pool after it is put in. Did you do your stain yourself? cause we had someone come in and do ours for us, so I was gonna get them to do the rest later on. I'm thinking that maybe later on in the year after the cement around the pool settles in for a few months, we'll get the stain done during the off season and that way it will have plenty of time to "cure" without being bothered.

I was looking for more info on this but thanks to you guys for sharing....

Thanks,,,,,

DMAN

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.