help drain plug broke off

Iciee

Jul 5, 2011
phoenix
I was cleaning my filters today and decided to throw some lube on the pumps drain plug. After doing do I overtightened it and it snapped off with the plug inside the threads :hammer: Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it without damaging the threads?

Crud should have thought about that, Talked to a mom and pop pool store and guy suggested tapping it with a flat head then unscrewing it. Worked after several attempts and 2 different size screwdrivers. Now the hunt for a replacement plug locally. Thanks again for the tip I think that would have worked a heck of a lot easier :party:

!!

Try a cork until you get the right plug. Go to a local craft store or maybe HD and get a bag of assorted sizes for a buck or so. After you cram it in, you might have to get it out w/ a cork screw.

Why this suggestion? The service that closed my pool one year somehow removed a plug from my heater & stripped the threaded socket in the process. No reason for them to remove it in the first place and now the plug won't screw back in. Can't isolate the heater - filter to heater to pool only - and water is pouring out the hole. Anxious to get the filter running, I grabbed a bag of corks I had and gave one a try. I, of course, intended to promptly do a righteous fix, but now, 5 years later, the cork is holding fine.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.