Pool Light Bulb Replacement

Wildcat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
After seeing some of the nasty things others at TFP found in their light niche I wasn't looking forward to replacing a burned out bulb. Found time to tackle it today. I understood the basics of removing the light, saw pictures on here of how the cord reached to the deck.

Good news, while there was some sand and grit upon removal the niche seemed clean. Sand was setled on the wiring. We live in a desert wash area so some sand is not unexpected.

When I took the hose and washed the back of the chrome ring/lens area I got 5 seconds of some black runoff and then 30 seconds or so of what you would say was foamy water, then all clear.

If it was mold or algae there wasn't much of it, do not believe light has been touched in at least 5 years, probalby 9 years, pool built in 2004 by previous owners. Not too concerned but I will pull light and check after a while.

Anyway, made my first Leslies purchase in quite a while, they had the bulb and a new gasket. Proce seemed OK compared to online also, $24 for both. That and a new brass screw from Hope Depot for 50 cents and we have light again!

Usually my home projects have bumps in the road, this one went pretty well!

Not sure if this is a good add to this post, but before I went to a new pump I had priming issues. Pump died and I got a new VS. The old pump had air in the system, when I turned on the light I could see millions of tiny bubbles. Now, with the new pump and no air in the system and the new light there are no bubbles, pool is crystal clear at night.

My observation and sharing moment is that new pool owners don't know what a pool should be.
A new pool owner doesn't have a frame of reference, no benchmark. God forbid we depend on a pool store to educate us :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.