PUMP REPLACEMENT

h2ctpdjl

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Indiana
My current Hayward 1.5 hp Super Pump is dying a slow death. I want to replace it with a new 2 speed pump, but haven't a clue what size, brand, etc. Any recommendations? I need to get the old pump switched out as soon as possible. Thanks

If your wet end (the pump part) is in good shape then you can just replace the motor with a 2-speed. Post the model of the pump or a picture of the label and we can suggest a motor.

Easiest way to tell 110, vs. 220 is the breaker. If it takes two breaker spots it is 220.

I have three breakers: 1 for pool cover, 1 pump, 1 for the electrical post that includes heater switch, one receptacle and a timer. The pump mdl C48L2N134B1, Ser#8F06

I want something energy efficient and dual speed. A neighbor said he could switch the pump out for me. This grammy has no knowledge when it comes to this. I am not sure he can do just the motor itself, but I can certainly ask him.

Thanks for the info, Linen, but it is greek to me. I am a 66 year old grandma, but thanks to this site, i am able to maintain, open and close my pool myself, but that is pretty much the extent of my capabilities. I am still waiting to hear from you about whether or not I have 220 or 110. You indicated I have 220 if I use two breakers. I indicated in my above msg what I have in the way of breakers, but still don't know if I have 220 or 110. I have so many questions, don't really know where to start. If I switch pump brands, do I have to put in a whole new pump, or can I switch brands and still just replace the motor? Does a two speed require any different wiring? I was looking at the Pentair Whisperflow 1hp energy efficient full-rated 2 speed pump. I don't know what full-rated means. The website also gives the info: 230v/WFDS-41011486 and don't know what any of it means. From what I have read on the site numerous times, two speed is the way to go. Only reason I am looking at Pentair/Energy efficient, is because of recommendations from this site, as well. I need some help before my current motor gives out.

The number you posted is from the motor (electrical) part of your pump. Can you look at the wet end where the pipes connect and see if there is a tag or label on it? If there is, please post the info on that tag/label.

Thanks for checking that.

Is it possible for you to take a picture of your circuit breaker panel with the door/cover open so we can see the breakers and post that? Depending on who makes the panel, there are single handle 220 breakers that could have been used for your pump, so having a single handle (switch) isn't necessarily a good indication of what your pump is wired for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. Yes, your pump is wired for 110, and it looks like you have the room in the box to go with a 220V pump, as long as you have someone skilled with electrical wiring do the install for you.

With that said, your search for a new motor just got a little easier, since you want a 2 speed. 110V 2 speed pumps are rare, and can be expensive.

At this point, I'll let others more skilled on pump and motor selection advise you further.

I made a mistake in my above suggestion, the b975 would be the right 2-speed replacement (not the b973). Sorry about that. Here is one: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Cent...-Speed-Pool-and-Spa-Pump-Motor-230V/B2975.htm

As CharlieR mentioned, I too can not find a 110 volt version of a 2-speed for that size pump. One option would be to downsized the impeller and then use the motor I mentioned above (B973) which can be used at 110 volts. Here is a link: http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352022097.htm This would be the impeller you would need: http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352019896.htm

Do you feel that you could do the motor switch-out and either the electrical re-wire or the impeller change? If not, do you know someone who can? If you have an electric motor repair shop, they may be able to do it for you, but the cost might get high.

The pentair whisperflo you listed is a larger pump than your current pump, so I would not recommend it. If you were to buy a new pump the pentair superflo 3/4 hp 2-speed model 341111 would be a better choice and is 110 volt. However, it might require redoing some plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.