What is this module?

Aug 25, 2013
Tucson AZ
[attachment=0:30qsxwdv]Pool filter.jpg[/attachment:30qsxwdv]

Hi,

Yep, my first pool.

I have some sort of inline module between my pool pump and my large egg shaped pool filter.
Here is a picture of it - as you can see any information on the label faded long before I came along.
This is a 10,000 gal in ground pool in Tucson.

Currently I am paying a pool service - they don't seem to maintain this part or notice that it is leaking.

Suggestions? Replace it or cut it out?

Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• Pool filter.jpg
    Pool filter.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 212
No, it does not seem to be magnetic.

I am surprised that there isn't an easy obvious answer. If it weren't leaking I'd never have even wondered. I will be able to check with the pool builder tomorrow. If I find an answer before this forum does (I'd be shocked) I'll post it.

Thanks,
Bob

It might be a check valve. There are unions on both sides, so it would be easy to take off and look inside.

Before removing it, make a mark to show the direction it is installed.

Bama Rambler said:
It looks like a water magnet. It's supposed to help with scaling. Is it magnetic?
I am almost sure this is exactly what it is supposed to be. Made by a small firm in Phoenix.
I had one that cracked also, got it replaced under warranty, but recently got new pump and just took it out of the system. Little evidence on line that it works, has been mentioned in TFP forum before. Cannot think of the name, it will come to me later

This did indeed turn out to be some sort of magnetic scale reduction filter.

Since it has no moving parts I've attempted a quick fix using epoxy - see the photos. It is holding at the moment.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Bob

Attachments

• magnet.jpg
    magnet.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 127
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 127
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 127

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, this is interesting. It seems there are big claims to what this does, from the Lecto-Pure website:

A clean, green natural means to treat pool and spa water.
Designed to reduce unsightly scale, control algae and bacteria, stabilize pH,
improve the effectiveness of chlorine and other chemicals PLUS extend pump,
filter and heater life.
Easy installation, nothing to wear out or break,
warranted against defects for one year.

WHILE THERE MAY BE NOTHING TO BREAK IT SURE SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF THEM.... BROKE.

Replacement is same price as new ($129.95 + $15.00 shipping), and there was no offer of a discount or repair. I'd have to say I feel a little disappointed with their customer service - obviously their joints failed a lot of people.

Anybody want to sell theirs?

Anybody see any value at all to these?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.