Cosmetic scratches in pool plaster

shaheeb

In The Industry
Aug 25, 2013
Hello,

This is my first post here on TFP, I was looking for some help on a first time plaster scratch issue we have come across in one of the pools we service.

The pool is a very dark gray plaster pool with about 7 years of life behind it. This past week we noticed multiple 2-3mm deep scratches near the entry steps from our weekly vacuuming. (either from a worn vacuum with protruding metal - or from a rock that was stuck in the vacuum head.)

The problem is the scratches are much lighter in color than the actual plaster so the scratches really stand out. The owner is not happy with the scratches and we are having a hard time getting the scratches to blend in with the darker plaster.

we have tried sanding area but this only makes the discolored area larger.

we have tried ascorbic acid which didnt work either.

we then tried part a+b epoxy to fill in the lines. unfortunately 'grey' color was much too light. before I buy another $20 package of a + b epoxy in black is there anything else we can do? i have a feeling the epoxy will not stick to the wet pool floor very well.

draining the pool is not an option. 25,000 gallons of water is too much for a cosmetic scratch...

please help, the pool owner is not happy.

Pictures would be great.

Is the pool plaster coated with anything?

It sounds like the surface of the plaster has weathered to different color that the original. How deep do the scratches go?

I would experiment with acid on the most accessible part and see if that works. If it does, then sand a bit to even the surface and then apply acid.

I tried ascorbic acid which is very strong. But it did not do anything to help. too late for pics. today i filled over the 2mm deep scratches with epoxy(black). the owner seemed pleased, more than before at least.

ran into another pool today that had very distinct golden yellow/orange stains from dirt I think that fell in the pool. I will have to try some dry acid on the spots for ascorbic acid didnt do a thing to help...

it looks like the opposite of a chlorine puck stain but similiar in how the stain runs in one direction...theres always something...

Glad you got it worked out.

But, ascorbic acid is not strong and would not dissolve the tiny shards of plaster that make the scratches look white. I believe MA would have worked, if you could have somehow applied it directly to the spot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.