Brand New Pool Startup

Jun 14, 2013
Austin, TX
Hi - I have PebbleSheen going in tomorrow (Monday), acid wash Tuesday, with fill immediately thereafter. I have read through the Pool School and forum and have the TF-100 test kit.

My fill water is:
TC 1.0
FC 0.5
CC 0.5
Ph 7.5
TA 200
CH 180
CYA 0

My understanding is upon filling to address the chemicals in this order: Ph, CYA, FC

1) Since my Ph is ok, nothing to do except monitor (If it drops I will aerate to try to lower TA some)
2) Add stabilizer - Pool Calc for my 12k gallon pool recommends 48 oz granules, or 125 oz liquid - solid added using nylon, ok to pour liquid into skimmer
3) Add bleach - Pool Calc recommends 81oz of 8.25% bleach - add through skimmer

Any thoughts, comments, criticisms, or corrections are appreciated!

Excellent!

You have everything correct.

Chlorine introduced through the skimmer is OK but really should be done very slowly so your equipment doesn't get a big dose. Pouring it in front of an active return will allow you to introduce it quicker and it disperses throughout the pool very fast....like 30 minutes.

Since TA is 200, how long do you wait until you address it?
The pH will almost always rise naturally.....especially in a newly plastered pool. When you drive pH back down with muriatic acid, it will also lower the TA.

So, as long as OP is not seeing his pH spiking too often, I would simply leave TA alone and let it drift down into range somewhat on it's own but with some help from the anticipated muriatic additions.

It is certainly acceptable to lower it immediately using the process described in Pool School, but that probably isn't necessary in this case.

Telnet64 said:
Any thoughts, comments, criticisms, or corrections are appreciated!

Yep, I have some.

Welcome to TFP first off and a hat's off to you for jumping in a educating yourself. Love seeing that. You're off to a fine start and it looks like it will come easy for you. PebbleTec and your builder may have startup procedures you have to adhere too for warranty issues, so make sure you are squared up on that.

Most importantly, we love seeing pics of your new pool! :mrgreen:

KenGood said:
Brushpup said:
Most importantly, we love seeing pics of your new pool! :mrgreen:

What he said. This is where you should imagine a cute gif that says "this thread is worthless without pictures." Ha!

Ken ought to know...he may have more pics in a build thread than I've ever seen here. The amount he has posted so far is just about the perfect amount. :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In Austin, you can easily find some at Walmart or Hardware stores that have pool products. At Walmart, it is HtH stabilizer/conditioner. It will be a 4lb container of 99% Cyanuric acid. In granular form.

Thanks, I have granules. For my startup I'm using liquid and the only liquid I could find is the "Instant Pool Water Conditioner" and I'm trying to figure out how much to add, since it's not explicitly in the Pool Calculator. There are some threads that mention it's ok to use this to add CYA, but I haven't seen the dosage issue addressed.

Hi, the startup has been going well, been adding about 4-6 cups of 8.25% bleach per day. Also, pH has been drifting up to 7.8 - 8.0, so been adding MA per the calculator.

Today I am at:

FC - 2.5 (before adding bleach)
CC - 0
PH - 7.4
TA - 80/90, this has been lower than I expected.

I think I've read that the new plaster will push the pH up for a while. Is there a preference between Borax and Baking Soda to increase pH? I've read posts various posts about people using both, but also read something about not using Borax on new plaster.

Thanks for any assistance!

Any pH increase from bleach is very temporary. Don't use Baking Soda to raise pH. It increases TA with raising pH much at all. Let the pH increase on it's own so your pool can reach equilibrium. Adjust down when it hits 7.8 by using MA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.