Question before I replaster

Aug 25, 2013
Hi Everyone:

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.

I bought a short sale two years ago (8/2011). The house had an Anthony Pool 16 x 32 (Kidney shape). I have no idea when built, but the old heater had a 1972 manufacturer date so I am assuming 1972 or before.

During escrow, neighbors complained that the green water was attracting mosquitos so I had it drained to set a good tone with them if the sale actually closed. Of course (lol), my bank wanted the pool filled and operating before they would fund. I took a risk and changed the tile (sea shells and seas horses) and put in a beautiful glass tile. I also painted the pool. Before I painted, I inspected the pool very well. There was absolutely no cracks and using the gold ball test, no loose material. The pool surface before and after painting was very smooth.

As expected, the paint lasted two season and the old surface is showing under the paint as it peels.

Like all of you, I want my pool to look as perfect as possible, so I am going to replaster in feb 2014 unless you advise not to based on my questions.

I have been under the impression that most inground poolingrounduilt as follows: Rebar, then concrete/gunite, then plaster.

Is this incorrect?

The reason I ask is that when I drained and cleaned the pool two years ago, 95% of the pool was a dark blue (walls) with the bottom being a very faded blue. Some places of the floor and steps actually looked grey. Today I inspected the stairs where the white paint from two years ago peeled, and the surface feels like concrete not plaster. I am confused. Could the surface be concrete and not plaster? In addition, when the pool was painted, none of the blue coloring appeared to have peeled which makes me wonder whether someone just did an awesome job painting the surface which somehow survived 30 plus years. Is this possible? If it is not, then the only explanation is that the blue coloring was part of whatever surface was laid on the pool when it was built. I checked closely when we removed the old tile and the joint between the old tile and the surface material appeared seamless which led me to believe that the pool was not replastered afterreplasteredt.

Does anyone know if Anthony made concrete pool surfaces in the 50's 60's' or 70's?

If it is, is there a different prep to do before resurfacing with plaster?

And I know I am all over the place already, but does anyone know the answer to the following. If a pool was plastered and them painted, would not sandblasting not reveal the plaster below the paint?

Finally, I have read as much as possible about replastering. I am stillreplasteringed about the best prep. method. Etching with acid or actually removing some the old material with a jack hammer to get better adhesion? Thanks in advance with any help with the above!!!!

A coupe of thoughts.

Gunite pools today are gunite sprayed over a rebar cage then generally finished with plaster.

Replastering the pool yourself is a very demanding task. The most important part is the prep work. chipping out the old plaster and making sure the subsurface is ready for plaster. Then you want to plaster, trowel and finish the plaster in one operation.

I strongly suggest you first have the oldest, local pool repair guy out to look at your pool and tell you what he can about it. Find the gust that sweats chlorine. He can probably tell you when your pool was built and what Anthony was doing when it was built as well as recommend some plaster companies. You can get bids from them. You don't have to use them but you can listen to how and what they would do. Then if you still want to DIY you have some professional opinions about the best way to do it. Make sure the bids are set up with the prep work and actual plaster job prices separately.

I think you will find that if you do most of the prep work then the cost of a replaser will be lower than you think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.