Confused on timers.

brmommy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2013
Southeast Ohio
I've decided to install a timer so that I can run the pump less automatically. Originally I was going to just buy the plug in type, but found out that they are NOT designed for a 1.5hp pump motor.

So I'm looking at hardwired timers. I bought one at Lowe's tonight on a quick stop and when I got home started reading about it. http://www.nsiindustries.com/Repository ... cSheet.pdf If I read this right, it won't work on my 1.5hp motor either.

Am I reading the specs correctly? What kind of timers do you all use on 1.5hp pumps? :?

I use the T101R. The "R" suffix indicates the timer is housed in a weatherproof box. For me, it was cheaper to get that model vs a standard 101 and a weatherproof box to house it in.

If you opt for an Intermatic timer and are planning on running multiple on/off cycles, buy some extra trippers as the unit itself only comes with one pair.....which I'll add is a total cheap out on Intermatics part. The timer itself is great and simple to setup/use.

While the Intermatic timers are the workhorses of the industry, in reality you only have a 1 hp motor or less. It's most likely a 1.5 spl rated pump. A lot of plug in timers will handle that. Just giving you options.

The 101 is rated for 40A. Even at startup I doubt there will be an issue.

I was gonna put my timer next to my panel but I'm also using it as my code required shutoff. The main issue I had with placing it in the basement was if the timer was OFF and I wanted to vacuum, it would require trips back and forth to the panel. I'm lazy. Something to think about if you are too.

brmommy:

I have a 1.5 HP pump with a Service Factor of 1.1 resulting in a Service Factor HP (SFHP) of 1.65. I use an Intermatic T104R201 mechanical timer. Here is the specs faceplate:[attachment=0:3ixfdi61]timer_specs.jpg[/attachment:3ixfdi61]

Attachments

• timer_specs.jpg
    timer_specs.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 205

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The specs on the timer you have says that it is good for up to a 2HP motor if it is wired for 240V. If yours is wired for 240V, you should be fine. Also the timer enclosure is a Nema 3R rating, so it is fine to be installed indoors or outdoors.

techguy said:
IIRC, when you place the timer in the basement, you will need a shutoff for the power within sight of the pool. NEC code, if i understand correctly.

We had an electrician do the electric work when it was first hooked up. It has out side GFI breakers installed on the side of the house going to the pool and convenience outlets. The timer will go in between the breaker box and outside GFI breaker box. He did it all to code including the copper bonding wire all the way around the pool which he really felt was a waste but had to be there to meet code. So everything he installed meets code.

My pump has this information on it.

Ecco HP 1.5 SPL
Cat.No EZBN255
Model S55CXRJD-8050
RPM 3450
115V HZ60
SF Amps 12.0

The reason I was looking at the TORK timer is that it had a battery backup and digital timer that can be set up to seven different on off settings. I had originally been looking at a TORK that was not digital but had the little pins that go all around for almost unlimited timer settings. Lowes was out of that one when I got there and had only the I mentioned above instead. Not sure I cared about the digital part, but really liked the battery backup part of it. It won't be exposed to the elements being inside.

Just want to get something installed because it is well over $100 a month right now to run the pump 24/7. :shock:

tgreen said:
The specs on the timer you have says that it is good for up to a 2HP motor if it is wired for 240V. If yours is wired for 240V, you should be fine. Also the timer enclosure is a Nema 3R rating, so it is fine to be installed indoors or outdoors.

The electrician's bill says he installed a 20 amp 125 Volt twist lock outlet. Doesn't say what size wire used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.