2 year old pump

duece

Aug 24, 2013
I just found this site, prob because I have never had any pool issues til now. :)

But, i have 24 foot round doughboy that is 2 years old. We clean meticulously, and never go a day without checking water conditions. We clean the skimmer with a minnow dipper daily, even reach over and grap the skimmer basket as it tries to float up when we shut the pump off..so that that debris doesnt get under the basket and make its way to pump. We look at the pump basket daily...we backwash weekly and put a few minutes of fresh water in, usually after every other backwash. SO...just to let you know that we take good care of the water and the pump is only 2 summers old...

but...the pump is loud..not a screaching loud as if it needs bearings, just loud as in its working too hard and the not much water was moving. To verify, I backwashed and the flow is very low. Usually I havd to hold the backwash hose on tight because when I move it to BW it jumps around like a huge cobra... :)..now the pressure is so low I dont have to hold it all. Probably 1/5 of normal flow. I do not have pressure guage..i lost it after I opned the box when I put the pull in and havent put one in yet..so I have no pressure readings. No leaks in hoses, skimmer and pump basket are clean. Took out plug on bottom of pump, drained clean water. Should I change the sand? I would gladly do whatever anyone suggests so that I may learn. Thanks!

Welcome to tfp, duece :wave:

Is there air in the pump strainer basket when the pump is running?

duece said:
I do not have pressure guage..i lost it after I opned the box when I put the pull in and havent put one in yet..so I have no pressure readings.
A pressure gauge is very important. I would get a replacement asap. It is often the first indication of pumping problems.

Thanks for the welcome linen...so are you asking if there is some air space from top of water level in pump basket up to bottom of the see-thru lid? I dont think so...I took it off today and water seems flush with the top and comes out really good. Whilst running it looked fine.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

duece said:
Should I change the sand?
Doubt this has anything to do with your problem. Sand should last the life of the filter with very rare exceptions. I would focus your efforts elsewhere first. One simple check is to look at the pump cover gasket. If it looks worn or flat, I would replace it.

duece said:
I was just wondering if sand was clogged with some debris somehow.
If you suspect that, you can give the sand filter a deep cleaning using this procedure:

• 1. Make sure pump is off and will not come on until you have finished all of the following steps.
    2. Unscrew the filter cap at the top of the filter housing (usually this is black with 2-4 spokes on it that allow you to better grip the cap for removal and re-attachment)
    3. Place a garden hose inside the filter and turn the water on until a medium water flow is coming from the hose.
    4. Let the water overflow out of the top of the filter. You will likely see a fair amount of gunk. Gently agitate the sand a bit. Continue until water runs clear.
    5. Replace filter cap

Turn on pump and see if that improves the water flow.

Be sure not to hit the laterals with the hose head, they're down at the very bottom and prevent the sand from entering your pool.

Also, most agp setups like yours have a top mount multiport valve that serves double duty as the fill/service hole for the filter body and the pipe/plumbing connections. So the water will have to be shut off or plugged at both the inlet and return(s), then the hoses will have to be removed next, if pvc pipe, unions unscrewed... assuming you have them. If not, there's some replumbing in your future.

Once that's all done, you can then unbolt the collar between the MP and the filter housing top.
You should then be able to pull off the MP, up and off with a bit of force and a little side to side twisting/rocking motion.

There's also a link in my Sig on this, it should be done each season.

If your pressure is low, check for restrictions / blockage in the suction line(s). If it is clear, next check the center of the pump impeller to make sure debris is not plugging it. As suggested, replace your pressure gauge. If your sand filter were plugged you would have higher than normal discharge pressure.

Bodarville/Y_not...... when I allow the water to run out of the filter, I do cover the pipe up with some duct tape...right? Just making sure...my dad once told me I could break an anvil with a rubber mallet and he was right.......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.