Might remove the Liquidator

DLSDO

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Midwest
I will probably be removing my Liquidator. Can't get adequate flow to maintain my FC. I am back to BBB. Any suggestions as to how I should plug those holes in the PVC? Could I leave the hose clamps and get a plug to screw onto the hose clamp end? Where would I find it? Do they manufacture hose clamps designed to plug these openings?

Any help is appreciated,

Re: Liquidator removal help

Another possibility, although I'm not sure what size hole you drilled, but they make saddle valves where you drill a hole in your pipe, then clamp the valve on the pipe. Possible put one on and close the valve?

cruzmisl said:
DLSDO said:
I will probably be removing my Liquidator. Can't get adequate flow to maintain my FC.

Really??? I have mine set at 1.5 and it holds my FC at 3ppm. Did you try and troubleshoot it? I'm sure you did but had to ask.
I think this depends on how much sunlight your pool gets, and then of course, if you are using 6% or stronger chlorine (bleach). I know in my pool, which is only 10k gallons, a setting of 2 does not maintain the FC level with 6% bleach. At about 3, my FC level will actually rise a bit, so my ideal setting is somewhere in between (right now my gauge is clogged and not working, so I am just adjusting by feel at this point). My pool also gets direct sunlight (no shade) just about all day long.

Interesting. My pool is 18'x36 IG vinyl and is in the sun all day long. I use 7% chlorine.

I did notice a HUGE difference though since I covered the Liquidator in the foil (thanks Sabot). I think that since the chlorine is not exposed to sunlight it retains it's strength. Last year I kept it around 2.

Mikemedic,
Thanks! Exactly what I need.

Keith,
I know. Very disappointing. 26k gallons in direct sunlight with a huge bathing load. The most flow I can get is a "2" on the flow meter....unless I turn off my skimmers....which is not practical. I have one of those pools that chemgeek described...too efficient! My Liquidator is barely above water level, my equipment pad is alittle below water level and the pad is only about 15 feet from the pool.

With all the valves removed, and the Liquidator open wide, running my pump 24/7, using 6% chlorine, I simply can't maintain an adequate FC level without pouring in additional chlorine into the pool daily.

I am gonna disconnect my Liquidator and utilize BBB unless anyone has a suggestion that can get my flow rate increased.

Thanks everyone,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Dave,

I've got an ugly idea and a graceful one:

The ugly one is to elevate the LQ...as high as you can get it. The extra gravitational force may be just enough. (of course I don't know if that's feasible with your setup.

The graceful one is to use 12% chlorine. Do you have a source?

Hmmmm. Lots of great suggestions. Maybe I should not be so quick to remove the LQ.

Where can I find 12%? I get 6% @ Sam's.

I am gonna try removing the flow control valve also.

Thanks everyone!!

Don't raise your tank above the level of your pump. I did this, putting mine up on a milk crate, and it lowered the flow going into the Liquidator enough that it dramatically dropped the rate of flow into the pool (it takes a while for this to happen- 10 or 15 minutes). I put it back on the ground next to the pump, and it worked fine again. Putting it up on a milk crate dropped the flow valve ball from almost 3 to just above 1.

I removed the flow control valve and now my flow is at a solid "3"--- (the center of the black ball is on "3"). So I am running with no valves except the flow meter.

Next step is to get 12% and see if this holds my FC at an adequate level.

If I am able to maintain my FC at this setting then I plan to install a 3/4" valve at the base of my LQ so that I can quickly drop the water level for refilling.

Dave,

If you end up finding 12%, it may well be in 5 gallons jugs which are tough to pour. I built a wooden platform only slighty higher thn the LQ water level right beside it. I then siphon the chlorine in the LQ (pump running). It's pretty painless and would eliminate your need for that 3/4" drain.

duraleigh said:
Dave,

If you end up finding 12%, it may well be in 5 gallons jugs which are tough to pour. I built a wooden platform only slighty higher thn the LQ water level right beside it. I then siphon the chlorine in the LQ (pump running). It's pretty painless and would eliminate your need for that 3/4" drain.

I found 12% @ a pool store down the street.
5G=$2.33/G
2.5G=$2.76/G
1G=$2.38/G

I am interested in your platform and siphon method. Could you post a pic? I still think the drain will be helpful. The problem I encounter is overflow when trying to fill. How do you avoid this with the platform/siphon method?

DLSDO said:
I removed the flow control valve and now my flow is at a solid "3"--- (the center of the black ball is on "3"). So I am running with no valves except the flow meter.
I've been playing around with mine for a couple of weeks now and have found that there are a lot of variables in getting the FC right. One setting may work well for awhile, but then we get an extra sunny day and the FC level goes down. I can either bring the FC up manually (which defeats the purpose of the LQ), or adjust the valve so I have a higher flow. The opposite happens on an overcast day. Add to that, your FC level could be different when you have a full 8 gallons of chlorine to when it's half gone or more, and I don't see how you can really manage this thing on one constant setting. I'm just curious how you, or anyone else who has removed the control valve, deals with managing this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.