Hose "popped" off, filter ran with no water

May 21, 2008
Webb City Missouri
I usually do not run my filter at night, but due to extensive rain, etc I had no choice. I woke this morning to the water below the skimmer, filter running and water everywhere. I found a hose popped off and that was the problem. Have I done damage to my filter and pump with it running dry all night. I am refilling the pool now, reconnected the hose, but when the time comes what is necessary for me to do to restart the filter and pump. I had just added stabilizer 1 week ago to get the CYA up, so now I suppose I have to add that again!! We have had so much rain, the FC is 0, CYA was down, so I was adding but with the rain I just couldn't get the FC up. I was just getting ready to test the CYA after the week of putting it in, but with adding this new water today, I will wait until the level of water is up. I have the bleach to add when it gets to the right level.

One more question-- when I vacuum the pool (or attempt to vacuum) the filter goes to 0 and I have no suction. Also if I hook up my Polaris Turtle it doesn't move. So needless to say, things are accumulating on the bottom of the pool. I do go in (when the weather permits) and skim the bottom with my leaf net (I have a lot of trees around my pool). But it is all the fine stuff on the bottom I can't get off. But I have no suction. I put the cap on the skimmer with an outlet to connect to my vacuum hose but nothing happens after the pump drops to 0.
I will be leaving here soon, so I will check back later for responses. THanks

18x33 ABG pool with a 1 1/2 hsp Waterford pump- Hayward Sand Filter
3 solar panels.

Look at the impeller housing and strainer housing. If the pump got really hot, you'd see some distortion there. If no signs of damage, hook it up and see what it does. You aren't going to make it worse.

Vacuuming and hooking up cleaners requires that the hoses be full of water before connecting them to the skimmer. Otherwise the pump loses prime.

try holding one end of the hose up to your return, the water will force the air out of the hose, raising your vacume head. When you see the air bubbles subside from the head, and it begins to lower...you have all water. Keep the end of the hose under water and then attach it, you should be okay that way and not lose prime.

John's advice is good - just be sure to look for drips from the top of the pump and also under it! Check the basket for warpage - this is usually a good indicator of the cavitating water getting hot enough to damage the seals I was directing you to look at. FPM told you how to insure that the vac hoses are fully primed - it's important to prime them!

Thanks, I am filling it now, and will check it out before I start it. I sure hope it didn't hurt the pump and motor, they are brand new. I will try what you suggest when I vacuum next, which should be in the next day or so. THanks for all your help. I love this site.

Well pump is running and no problems or leaks, so I lucked out on that. I have had a busy week, but I plan to vacuum the pool today. Thanks for the advise of putting the hose at the return, makes sense for getting the air out of the hose, something simply that I wouldn't have thought of. (That is why I love this site).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.