Upgrade original filter question

witz07

May 15, 2013
I have an 18 foot round Summer Escape pool with the original in wall skimmer with filter and pump attached. I want to upgrade the pump/filter, do I need to replace the skimmer and purchase a pump/filter unit or can I still use the skimmer and somehow attach a pump/filter unit to it? This is my first above ground pool and it was fine for the first few months, then turned cloudy and I haven't gotten it back in control. I believe part of the problem lies in the not too powerful pump. This will be a project during the fall/winter months.

I've tested my water and even tried having a pool store test it as well. We both got very similar results:
chlorine 3
ph 7.5
alkalinity 100

I'm using a Kokido 5-Way Reagent Swimming Pool Test Kit

I understand about needing correct numbers to confirm all of the chemicals are correct. Right now I'm more concerned about how to change out the filter/pump unit than fixing the water. We are almost done with swimming this season, so I'm looking at replacing the filter/pump while the pool will not be used. I'll drain, clean, and refill the pool for next swimming season.

Can you post a close up picture of where the pump is positioned on the skimmer? Also what is the diameter of the pipe the pump is mounted on? Do you plan to take it down and store it or leave it up all winter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.