Another pool quote in Baltimore

Jul 22, 2013
Baltimore, MD
We just have received another build quote - this is for a 18x36 rectangular pool with no additional water features, but a 18" wall running along the back 36' of the pool (and 10' on each side).

2 possible issues, that I have seen here - they use flex pipe, and they run the plumbing under the pool.

The total quote is for $65k including the following:
- 1 led (1450)
- winter cover (4200)
- pool cleaner (tigershark - 1450)
- water
- 500 sq ft of travertine - we have several other flagstone patios that would be close by.
- hayward cartridge filter
- electric
- automated system and swg (3200)
- 450 ft of split rail fence with mesh (my neighborhood allows split rail or picket) (7000)
- Diamond Brite (3500)
- wall (3000)

Still can't decide between pebble sheen and diamond brite - I'd like my feet to decide, but we haven't seen either kind of pool yet.

He didn't seem in love with the rollable deck cover, as it was something he hadn't heard of before.

Thanks,
Elsa

soundgardeners said:
...they run the plumbing under the pool.
This would be a show-stopper for me. The only plumbing that should be under the pool is the main drain plumbing. I would either put a stipulation in the contract stating that no plumbing is to be run under the pool except for the main drain. If they are not open to that, I would find another builder. Heading into the fall, you should have more leverage than if you wait until the spring.

I actually mentioned it to him, as he was showing pictures of one of the builds. That is definitely their standard way of doing things. I'll definitely make sure that's a showstopper for me - that's the second company who has said that's how they run their pipes.

Thanks for the verification!

If you are to go with only one light, it will need to shine down the length of the pool or it will be too dark. It may be on the dark side with one light period in that size pool. We have two and would not be happy with less light. Only a few of the color options are full brightness. We've swam at night a lot more than I thought we would initially. It would have been even more if the summer had been warmer.

I think that adding aluminum gates to a split rail fence is a great way to spice it up and still keep the cost down. We (I) did this and there are pics on our thread if you want to see it. Split rail is also something pretty do-able as a DIY, which can save maybe 50%, if that is of interest.

Diamond Brite will be as smooth as plaster - which is to say perfectly smooth if installed correctly. Pebble Sheen I don't know but have read it's pretty comfortable.

To me the plumbing is an easy one, write in the contract, solid 2" (or whatever size) and NOT under the pool. Let them price it accordingly, then compare.

I gave a spec sheet to all of our builders so I would get as much apples-to-apples on the first quotes as possible. Some were a bit surprised but it got us off on the right foot with fewer times of being on the wrong page.

Also, try to enjoy the process some. For me the most exciting times were getting the quotes, dig day and plaster/water.

Every builder keeps saying one light is ok, whch is hard for me to imagine, but they insist 2 lights is too bright. And we do want a fairly dark pool (like a reflecting pool), so I'll make sure to get a quote for 2.

Having a spec sheet is a great idea.

It does concern me that if a company only does flex and only puts their pipes under the pool, if that's how they always work, will they be able to do it differently.

I am enjoying and stressing through this process. I think it's a combination of the newness of it all, the used car salesmen attitude that some PB's exude, and the fact that we likely have months of paperwork ahead to get everything approved. But I'm definitely learning a lot each time and getting less stressed when I see the end prices!

We've got Vista coming on Friday, so hopefully over the next 2 weeks we can make the decision.

Sounds like you are being thorough & thinking things through. Interesting about the flex ... I read somewhere that although termites are not "attracted" to flex pvc, it can be damaged by them if it happens to be in their way.

About the aversion to running pipe under the pool, is it because of settling concerns or maybe it is harder to get to if repairs are needed?

Also, regarding the pool light(s), I am wondering if it would be much more expensive to have them wired to operate independently in case you want more light, i.e just turn on another light if you need it?

Good luck with the process, I hope to be going through the same thing in about a year.

Is it Kristen from Vista who's coming out Friday? She was great with us. It could also be James the owner because he has been trying to get back into sales more since he hired a project manager in the spring. Either of those two and you'll have a nice conversation. They weren't the quickest turning around our quote but that was fine as we had time.

It's James who is coming out, although I would be interested to meet and talk with Kristen, because so far I have only had dealings with pool salesmen, and it would be refreshing. But that aside, I hope that we can find somebody that can integrate ideas that we have into an actual plan, and then build off of that.

Luckily/hopefully we have plenty of time - that's good to know though.

Gruk - As to the flex issue, I was hoping somebody knowledgable would have stepped in to address that, but I have seen on this site (and maybe GW too) people saying that the rigid 2" or 2+" pvc is much more reliable than the flex.

My pool is 16x30 and I have two LED lights. Due to the shape it doesn't get the sun deck completely but its just the right amount of light. I'm going to also jump on the bandwaggon that you probably should get another. ...but I can also say that the add-on in DFW was $500 / LED light. That price seems really high.

$500 is a great price! It's surprising how much the LED lights have been quoted for here - in that $1300-1400 range. The lights themselves aren't that expensive from Amazon (I think $500 or 600 with a 100' run). Each time, I mention 2 lights to the sales people, and I think everybody has insisted on 1. And we're hoping to have a fairly dark pool, so it seems like more light would be better.

Thanks for the input!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.