Jandy Valve Actuators/Spa Spillover

Aug 24, 2013
Tennessee
All,

I have been using TFP for about 18 months since we purchased our current home with our first pool. This is my first post because you are all so thorough! Hopefully I can help somebody else out at some point, for now I need to tap the TFP knowledge for one of my issues.

I have Jandy Valve Actuators (JVA) that are controlled by my Aqualink RS controller. Ever since we moved in, the spa spillover would barely push water into the pool when in Pool Mode. One of my JVA's started rotating 360 degrees, so I had to utilize the toggle switch to move the valve between pool and spa mode. When I started messing with the positions, I discovered the optimal spot (see photo) and the spillover worked flawlessly with great flow for the first time since we've owned the house. I just turned the valve off and marked the position when in Pool Mode.

I just replaced my JVA 2440 with a JVA 2444. It synced up with the other JVA 2440 right off the bat. Both are in position 1 in terms of the toggle switch. Unfortunately, there is no water flow to the spa in Pool Mode, resulting in zero spillover. In Spa Mode, both valves work correctly by isolating flow/return to the spa. In Pool Mode, there is no flow to the spa. Is this an electronic issue? Can I program/set the new valve to stop at the optimal position or is my Aqualink not stopping the valve where it should?

Based on my online research, it would appear the controller might not be telling the valve to operate the spa spillover, but I simply can't decipher how to resolve this issue. I also read the Aqualink troubleshooting manual, which suggested the DIP switch in the exterior control panel (Aux 3) should be "ON" for spa spillover effect and mine is off? Of the 8 DIP switches, only #1 is in the "ON" position. I can't imagine this would be an issue, because the spillover worked in the past, even though it didn't work great. Thanks in advance for your time. I've attached some relevant photos.

Attachments

• Old JVA Manual Position.JPG
    Old JVA Manual Position.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 269
  • JVA2444.jpeg
    JVA2444.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Equipment.JPG
    Equipment.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 202
Yup. Just was doing this. Take handle off and the 4 screws out and take the lid off. Loosen the large nut on the shaft. Turn the blue cams as needed. Tighten the nut again and test the stops by toggling the switch back and forth.

Dave,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've found at least one video that explains cam adjustment based on your response. I think this is the only thing I haven't checked on this issue! :hammer: Thanks again. I'll give this a shot today and post my result.

Dave and Jason,

You can't argue with the picture. It's a beautiful thing. Everything is working as it should. I've attached a picture of a Jandy JVA 2444 with the top off....more specifically of the cam adjustment you referenced. The JVA 2440 has the blue cams as Jason mentioned and the new 2444 has clear plastic cams that are notched as shown in the picture. The top and bottom cams work independently of each other and require a little force to move them to the desired position. Thanks again for the great advice.

Attachments

• Cam Adjustment.JPG
    Cam Adjustment.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 264
  • JVA 2444.JPG
    JVA 2444.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Spillover.JPG
    Spillover.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 223
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.