Vacation home pool nightmare!!!!!

whoozer

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2008
Acton Maine
So I have a dilemna. I have a fiberglass pool in my home in Maine. It has been shut down for almost 1 year now, because I've moved 1100miles away. I Recently had a family member go and check on it. He found a pond literally! Lots of frogs a couple of water snakes. I shutter at the thought. Now I have to take a 1100 mile jaunt to fix it :grrrr:

So my issue is not the chemistry. I know scoop,scoop,scoop....find a snake...eeek....pass out....
scoop some more....

My ultimate worry is how do I keep this pool looking unlike a swamp if I'm not there and can only send my mom over 1 a week to check on it? I have a puck chlorinator and know the cya issue, but is there another chlorinating puck that can be used to at least keep it from turning back into a pond? This is until my house yet again doesn't sell this summer and I have to close it again just so it will turn back into a pond next year :rant:

Also it is a fiberglass freeform 15x33. I used the pool cover (which in essence looks like a tarp) with the water bags. All the bags were empty and the cover was in the pool. Is there a permanent but inexpensive cover I can use to keep kermit and his 6 generations of family out of the pool for next year?

For informations sake the pool is:
15x33 free form fiberglass 4 years old
3 1/2ft to 7ft
hayward 1hp self prime pump
hayward cartridge filter
hayward puck chlorinator
standard pool timer I think intermatic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm still invisioning what will happen when I come across that water snake :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yea, its called a meyco cover. Go online and do a google on it. I have one and believe me, nothing will get in that thing once you close it for the winter. I live in ND and my dogs even run across the top of it.

Check it out. That may help your issue when you close the pool for the year anyway.

Good luck with the pool! :)

Draining 1/3 of your pool will give you alot of fresh water to deal with. I would think an auto chlorinator and have her supplement with bleach once a week, could get you thru till you sell, 1 season or so, and then you'd be draining a lot of the water again to close.....you'll have high CYA but have her throw in 2 jugs a week....hehehehe it's temporary - I wouldn't recommend it long term but just to get you thru?

Otherwise hiring a pool servicing company seems to be your only option, other than keeping the pond. I've read lots of threads on here about people "inheriting" a pond and what do they do? etc, so I don't think a prospective buyer would kill the deal cause the pool is green. Get the fancy cover, if they can't see it, they don't know what they are in for....hehehehe

I would clean it up and then do a full winter closing. Minimal attention once a week isn't going to work for all that long. That might work for a month or two, three even, but eventually there will be a problem and things will get out of control and you will be right back where you are now. If you do a winter closing you limit how bad it can get. You will still get algae, but you won't get animals living there or debris accumulating on the bottom.

Thanks for the info. I've decided to definetely get a better cover to prevent Kermit and co. next time. I don't mind the algea thing so much as the dead critters...frog and snake love fest thing. So I'll probably open for a month then close it up when I leave from vacation. At least I could get some nice new pictures of it as I lost mine in the move and that would be a great selling point to see what it was like.

I've been looking for a cover for this pool for a while now. I'm having issues! I have a free form pool fiberglass.15'3" by 33'. I have all of the measurements but the companies want new measurements with this point A to1 and point B to 2 or something along those lines. I'm 1100 miles away I can't do this. I also don't have anyone with the patience to do it for me either. Is it possible to just use a rectangle cover for a free form pool? Is anyone doing this? Thanks.

Do you have a PB that is local to the ME house? My PB is a Loop Loc dealer, I'm sure there are other brands similar to this that local PB's may carry...maybe they could go by and give an estimate to install it, it requires anchors in your concrete/deck area.
Not the cheapest thing, but it would have to add some kind of value to a person who wants a pool with their house...it has permanent anchors that screw into the concrete in-season, and we've had ours for 2 winters and it still looks like new, we love it. Not so much as a gnat in the water on start up (okay that was a joke, but you get the idea...just don't be startled by the elephant and the lady talking when you click this) --
http://www.looploc.com/home/flash_body.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.