How to clear up slightly non-clear water?

Jun 30, 2013
I was out of town for about two weeks and couldn't attend to the pool. When I went to clean it today it had a good amount of leaves and sand/dirt/<something like that> spread out around the bottom. I vacummed and got the leaves out and nothing is on the bottom anymore but the water is definitely not as clear as it was before. I got the water tested as local pool place and all the chemicals are reasonable:

alkalnity: 125
pH: 7.8
calcium: 275
stablizlier: 62
cholorine: 2.1
salt: 2800 (but the swg says 3300)

So my question is: what is the best course of action to get the water as clean as before? I have some of the "ultra bright water" stuff and I also have DE. I have used DE in the past, and from what I understand it is meant to help the filter get small particles it wouldn't otherwise get, which makes me think it get any excess dirt/sand, but not sure if I am thinking on that right..

You need liquid chlorine (bleach) in your pool...forget the other stuff.

I would suggest bring your FC up to around 10 ppm for the next 24 hours. If your pool does not clear, you should start the SLAM process found in Pool School.

Along with what Duraleigh said, which I agree with, you ought to consider getting yourself one of our recommended test kits. Most of us here use the TF -100. Best value. The pool store testing is not usually the most accurate. If you have to SLAM the pool you'll need a kit that can test FC levels greater than 5ppm

TFtestkits.net is where you can get one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.