TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My clock is inside the poolhouse where it is never exposed to sun or rain, but I'm doing well to get 2 years out of one. Anybody got any recommendations? Seems like all of them I've come across have the same cheap movement that just starts eating batteries or won't keep time after a while.

I've had mine for about 5 years now. I don't know the brand, but I bought it at Lowe's for around $45.00. It looks like wicker, but is really a hard resin I think. It has been left outdoors year round the whole time and still looks as good as the day I got it. It runs off of 2 AA batteries which I replace every spring. I'm amazed it has lasted this long.

P.S. - It was originally a more expensive clock. I got it on clearance in the fall.

Samantha_in_AL said:
I've had mine for about 5 years now. I don't know the brand, but I bought it at Lowe's for around $45.00. It looks like wicker, but is really a hard resin I think. It has been left outdoors year round the whole time and still looks as good as the day I got it. It runs off of 2 AA batteries which I replace every spring. I'm amazed it has lasted this long.

P.S. - It was originally a more expensive clock. I got it on clearance in the fall.

I think we may have had the same exact clock that just died. It was a perfect clock in look and size, but it just didn't last.

Sorry yours didn't last. I described what it looks like in case you wanted to buy one like it. LOL
They still sell them, I saw them last weekend when I was there. I have been through at least a half dozen clocks on our covered patio, yet the one that's totally exposed to the weather has not failed me. Go figure....

I'm glad somebody brought this up - I have been meaning to. I need a clock so I know when to tell the boys to leave (before the wifey gets home) on Saturday afternoons.

I was afraid of buying a typical big box store clock and having the same results, as it will be completely in the weather. I was thinking about making a sundial...anyone else have one of these or a good design? Thoughts on ideal placement? I guess I could google it but that's just feeding the machine...I like this website better...

Thanks,

Sciz

I had similar problems, but finally found a clock I liked. It's terra cotta. You can break it, but it'll never wear out.

The clock mechanism will wear out, though, and the hands can get rusty & break. When those things happened, I found Klockit on line at http://www.klockit.com/. Nice catalog; reasonable, even cheap, prices for mechs, hands, etc. If your clock face survives, you can replace the guts forever.

Good luck!

I bought an "outdoor" clock at one of the box stores. It's been hanging on the fence all year. It was cheap.. like $10. I went looking ofr a good photo of it...its been hanging on the fence since at least May of 2012 without issue. It is in the shade most of the time. But, it was out there all winter.

I don't spend much more than $10 on an outdoor clock. If something happens to it, no biggie...I just replace it.

I must say the current clock we have (bought spring 2012 at HD for around $10) is still working like a champ, despite falling several times. It is under the patio, shaded from the elements. However, we occasionally get sudden winds from thunderstorms. Even if we are not directly under a storm, the winds can spool up from virtually nothing to 50-60 MPH wind gusts in no time. Sometimes the clock gets blown off its mount before I can get out there to bring it inside until the storm passes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is the one I have. $9.99 online

01300-800x800_3.jpg

http://www.acurite.com/9-25-antique-white-indoor-or-outdoor-clock-with-thermometer-01200-01300.html

I was thinking about a clock for the pool but then I realized that I probably spend more time by the pool without one. Because I come in later than I should, which of course is a good thing!

Maybe Ken can show us how to do a clock right in East Texas. Like one on a post that would be on a Main Street by a town square.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.