Pump seal leak

FrankM

Gold Supporter
May 12, 2010
New Jersey
Hello all, it's my 10th pool season and yet another drip under my pump. I've grown tired of handing my hard earned money to the pool store to fix this issue. I purchased a new seal for the pump and am about to try this repair for the first time. I have an Emerson 1081, 1 1/2hp pump that is about 3 years old.

I've watched several videos on youtube on pump repair and I'm confident I can do this repair. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips that may help?

Thanks for your time.

I just used a tony bit of silicon o-ring lube to help get parts seated. Tiny bit on the pump to press in the ceramic plate, and a tiny it on the impeller shaft to press the spring side on. Two seals done that way and no leaks yet. If you do this do it very sparingly. You need to keep the mating surfaces clean.

I have everything apart and noticed when I removed the old ceramic seal from the seal plate that it had some sort of silicone glue around the rubber part. Not much but noticeable, am I supposed to glue this piece in? I haven't seen anything about gluing this piece in on anything I've read or seen. Thoughts?

Sorry for the delay, I got sidetracked by a pinhole leak in my filter that had to be addressed as well. Everything went well with the pump seal, I reinstalled the pump this morning and it's been running fine all day.

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your help. You have helped me eliminate one more chain the pool store had on me. Next time I'll be able to change my pump seal at the first sign of leakage with confidence and not have to take it 25 miles and pay someone to repair it.

Thanks again, :cheers:
Frank

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.