Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much CYA am I losing?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much CYA am I losing?

I just finished cleaning up some algae. I vacuumed to waste 3-4 times and then added water to the pool each time. It has also rained a couple of times and I had to drain some water. How is the CYA level affected by all of this draining and refilling? Is the CYA affected at all?

Thanks
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much CYA am I losing?

Pumping to waste removes CYA from the pool along with the water, while neither rain water or fill water contains any CYA, so the CYA level will be going down. How far it goes down depends on how much water you ended up removing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If I'm losing say 4-5" of water everytime I vacuum to waste, am I losing a negligible amount of CYA?

If I'm removing 4-5" of water after it rains, am I losing a significant amount of CYA?

Thanks
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

4. Back To Top    #4

Removing 4 to 5 inches of water from a typical AGP will reduce the CYA level by about 10%, regardless of why you are removing the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for your help, Jason.