DE pouring into pool from return

Modd

Aug 22, 2013
I have this problem when the pump is turned on, the green/brown water shoots out of the return. It started about a week ago. I had this happen before so:
1) I inspected the spider gasket and O ring for Vari-flow, looked good enough but I changed them with new(No lube). No Good.
2) I replaced all 8 grids in the DE filter early this year and filter was working fine until 1 week ago. Inspected the grid. Hosed them clean. Charged with about 6 lbs of DE. Looked great but No Good.
3) Hayward calls it "Outlet Elbow O-Ring". It's the O ring on Inlet pipe in the filter where Manifold gets plugged into. Looked ok but I changed and lubed it. No Good. I did this after about 3 hours "2)" step and noticed DE wasn't sticking to any of the grids.
4) Hayward calls it "Flex Air Relief Assembly". Took the filter top off and inspected the "Flex Air Relief Assembly". Took the "Sock" off and I see tube in the plastic guard. Washed the "Sock" and no holes or anything. I’m at the point I can’t tell blowing green anymore. The pool is too green! I did this about 1 hour "3)" step and noticed DE was sticking to about 5 inches from the top of all grids..

1) was done at start of the problem. 2), 3) and 4) were done today. Only thing I can think of to attack next is the spring in the Vari-flow not pushing the "Key Stem Assembly" enough to the spider gasket. I don't think 4) fixes it so any other thing I can look at? 3) might have done it.. I can't tell anymore. Does the spring on Veri-flow go bad? I’ll update in about 6 hours to see any change.

My equipment is following:
Hayward 4800 DE Filter
Hayward Vari-flow SP710XR50

So I checked it by turning off the pump for about 10 min and turning it back on. Green/brown water shot out. When the green/brown water shoots out, it's only for about 10 seconds but I’m 100% sure that DE is rushing out and I just can’t see it. DE goes to return very heavy once the pump is turned off. What could cause that? Any input is appreciated. Please let me know if more information is needed. I really need help.

“Hayward Multiport Valve GO KIT 1 1/2" SP710, 711,& 712” kit I got from Amazon retailer to replace Spider gasket seem to be the problem. I have nothing against Amazon. I have problem with product that was delivered to me. Mock spider gasket included in the kit is just awful. I can’t believe they can post this product using “Hayward” name in the product. It did fit perfectly but it couldn’t hold the water in the Vari-Flow. Very “FLAT”… I’m guessing pressured water was gushing everywhere in the Vari-Flow from the start. Note to myself, buy OEM part.

OEM that I took out is back in action as of last night and water is still green.. In past when DE poured back into my pool, replacing spider gasket or replace damaged grid fixed the problem. Those are the two things I experienced so far. The “Valve Body” (the housing that connects to filter and pipes) go bad or anyone heard of it needing to be replaced? That’s the only thing I can think of at this time.

I am having trouble understanding exactly what's going on. Your first post says you changed the spider gasket and it didn't correct the problem. In your third post you say "kit I got from Amazon retailer to replace Spider gasket seem to be the problem". However your last post seems to indicate you still have the problem. I am not sure if you are still getting DE back into the pool or if you are expecting to run green water through the filter and have it come out clean which isn't going to happen.

I am still getting DE into pool. I can see DE collecting/settling on the stairs. Sorry about #3 post… I was really annoyed about how poor this product was. After about two weeks of use and the “lip” of the gasket is flatter than OEM that was installed 4~5 years ago. I’m in process of returning the package.
Here are things that can cause DE to flow back into pool as I know.
1. Bad Spider gasket
2. Hole/rip on grid
3. Outlet Elbow O-Ring=O-ring on pipe in filter where manifold meets
4. Cracked manifold
5. Hole/rip on “sock” of Flex Air Relief Assembly
Is there anything else that can cause DE to return to pool? I just got new manifold with new Flex Air Relief Assembly today so I’ll replace them tomorrow. Any input is appreciated. 1,2 and 3 has been ruled out. I also ordered the whole Vari-flow assembly and went hardware store to pick up 8 inch strap wrench today. I’ll post tomorrow to see if new manifold with new Flex Air Relief Assembly fixes the problem.

I am no expert on this but I do have the same filter and have done some work on it in the past like change outlet elbow o-ring and change entire vari-flow valve so I am a somewhat familiar with it. It really looks to me like you have all the bases covered here. I can't think of anything else that is going to return DE to the pool. Hopefully someone else can chime in here if they have any ideas. Be sure and post your progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No cracks that I can see. I took it apart and checked it 3 times in past 2 weeks but I did read somewhere on internet that it could have thin crack that’s very difficult to identify and when the pressure builds in filter, it opens and DE goes into pool. In past two weeks, PSI never reached over 20.5 PSI so if this had crack, it should reach over 20.5 now that the new one is installed… This will rule out 4 and 5 from my 5th post. Running the pump with no DE charged right now per there is enough DE in my pool to fill the filter at least two times.. Or is it better put few lbs of DE?

Looks like dirty DE and dead algae in the pool. I would hit the filter with clean DE. Then I would use my robot to clean up the DE in the pool. But my robot is self contained and doesn't send dirt back to the filter. Not sure about your 360.

Started to run the 360 without bag attached now. That should bring up settled DE at the bottom of the pool to all over the pool. PSI running at 20 right now so within few hours, PSI “should” increase..

It stopped at 20.5 PSI meaning manifold was good. That means I have spare manifold now.. :) New Vari-flow assembly is coming tomorrow so I’ll change the whole thing. I can’t attack on the algae problem until DE leak is fixed.

I didn’t get the Vari-flow assembly until yesterday (Friday) and life happened so I didn’t get a chance to install it yet. Will update. I have my chlorinator with 3 inch tabs and I drop floater with 3 inch tabs.. I take out floater as needed. The pump has been running at least 18 hours a day. There is no microorganism that can survive in there since three weeks ago. I just don’t understand the initial rush of green/brown cloud coming from return and PSI not reaching above 20.5. I've lived with this pool for last 10 years. Never had problem like this to this extent. My gauge can't be the problem. I can see the water flow from return and determine what 20 PSI and 25 PSI look like. There is no rising pressure. Only thing left after Veri-flow is the grids that I replaced at beginning of season. Basically getting brand new system in place..

I assume about 20 PSI was your normal pressure before encountering problems. It does sound a little high (gauge??) but then again I don't know your plumbing setup or your pump HP. Hopefully your new vari-flow will take of the problem. If not and you are not sure about your pressure before problems, why not pull the whole grid unit out of the filter and check pressure. My pressure with the same filter as yours is about 1 PSI less with the grid unit out than with a clean grid unit in place which is 11 PSI.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.