Connecting Pool Plumbing

cipher

Jun 11, 2010
Oakville, Canada
Yesterday I replaced the plumbing line that connects my pump and filter. However, when I turned on the pump today, there is water leaking at both ends. I've used steel clamps to secure the tiger flex line, but no I'm wondering if I should also be using primer and pvc cement or should the clamps be positioned differently?

Here is a picture of the tiger flex pipe and the connector before they are secured.

u0d0.jpg

Here is pictures of the the two pieces after they are secured by steel clamps on both ends (you can see water dripping in the 2nd pic):

edg3.jpg

36u7.jpg

I should add that the blue pvc cement seen in the pics was used to connect the two plastic pieces (white and grey in first pic) that I'm attaching the flex pipe to. The pool store actually did this for me.

Thank you

See bullet one... that is supposed to be glued into a PVC connector.

From Tiger Flex website
Tigerflex Spa Hose

PVC pool and spa hose is specially designed for use in the installation of tubs, spas, swimming pools, filters and similar water transfer applications. Solid cream color. Service temperature range -4°F to 150°F.
Note: Like other materials, Spa hoses can be damaged by rodents or insects including termites. Warranty does not cover these damages. Spa hose should not be used underground in areas infested by termites.

Features and Benefits of Tigerflex Spa Hose:

Designed to be glued into Schedule 40 PVC fittings
Replaces rigid pipe for plumbing pool, spa or hot tub installations
Very flexible - ideal for working in confined areas
Cost saving - requires fewer fittings than rigid pipe when plumbing a normal spa or hot tub installation
Smooth bore construction allows unresricted flow
General Applications:
Replaces rigid pipe for plumbing pool, spa or hot tub installations

Yeah, I am not sure it is meant to be installed on a barbed fitting like that ... it "should" work if the fitting was a nice tight fit and aggressive barbs to dig in ... maybe the barbs are too small?

Or you could cement it into a fitting as it is designed for ... although if you intend to take it apart, you will need unions or something.

Thanks, guys.

So it sounds like there was no need for the grey PVC part (one with barbed fitting) to be glued to the white PVC part . Instead, the tiger flex hose should have been glued directly to the white PVC part. Does this sound correct?

Also, I guess this means if there is a leak in the future, I'm replacing the hose and both white PVC parts that are attached at each end since they are glued? I believe the pool store was trying to come up with a solution that would make it easier/more cost effective to fix future leaks.

You can add unions glued almost directly to the fitting screwed into the valve (with a short piece of PVC pipe) and then glue the hose into the other half of the union. That way you can open the union when you need to open the top of the filter or have a leak to deal with.

cipher said:
I believe the pool store was trying to come up with a solution that would make it easier/more cost effective to fix future leaks.

So they sold you a leaky fitting that would make it easier to fix the leak? Glue it up right the first time with a union, or even better a union with a shutoff, and be done with it. :)

This makes sense now. I'll either glue it directly or glue it with unions to give me more options in case there is a leak in the future.

Now the embarrassing part. When I turned the pump off the other day, after I had noticed the leak, it had probably been running for 2-3 hours. However, yesterday when I looked in the pool I saw sand on my steps and in the deep end. I then realized I had reversed the connections between the pump-filter and filter-heater. The pump was run to the "Return" outlet on the filter and the heater was run to the "Pump" outlet on the filter!

At this point, I have two questions:

1) Did I damage the filter (laterals etc)
2) If it's not damaged, can I just vacuum the sand back into the filter once I reconnect the lines

I've used barbed fittings on tigerflex in the past, you need to use a liquid teflon on the barbed fitting when you go to insert it into the tigerflex. With that being said, I've still seen it leak. Just glue to the pipe and you'll be fine (no barbed fittings)

same here. I've tried the flex line on barbed fittings..and they simply will leak pretty much no matter what. If not now..in time they all do. That flex line is meant to be glued into a PVC slip fitting, not onto a barb.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.