May 27, 2013
As per my tf100 test kit:
PH 7.2
FC 5.5
CC 0
TA 130
CH 110
CYA 60

I typically vacuum pool and backwash filter every Saturday but by Wednesday there is green algea starting to form on the bottom of the pool. This started about a month ago. I typically just scrub it and it dissolves in the water. We have had a lot of rain and the pool has not been used much because of cooler temperatures. I have been using tablets for chlorine and using the shock you buy at Wal-Mart once a week. I am switching to the BBB method now. Is the algea normal? If not what should I do?

Thanks

No algae is not normal. It only happens when the FC gets to be too low depending on your CYA level. For a CYA of 60ppm, the FC should have NEVER been below 5ppm. See the chart: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

All the tablets were raising the CYA and likely the powder from Walmart was adding calcium (cal-hypo).

The solution is NO MORE PUCKS (your CYA is already slightly too high) and following the SLAM process using bleach from now on. [slam:3dkyqy3s][/slam:3dkyqy3s]

Once you complete the process, then maintain adequate FC using bleach and you will never get algae and have to SLAM again.

Algae is not normal around here - at least not after the first couple weeks!

Your solution is to SLAM the pool and stop using powdered forms of chlorine, as your CYA level is already getting to the hard-to-manage level.

If you don't take care of this quick, you'll soon end up like the before pictures in these threads. Follow the SLAM and you'll be looking like the after pictures long before the big holiday weekend.

first-time-shocking-with-bleach-t45074.html
pretty-black-pool-t58442.html
first-time-pool-owner-t61565.html
a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
frog-filled-green-swamp-to-oasis-work-in-progress-t48213-20.html
before-and-after-t36785.html
a-final-picture-set-of-how-well-the-bbb-method-works-t33199.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.