Valve question..

Aug 5, 2013
Hi,

This is a main drain & skimmer union pipe that is attached (by a spinning collar) to my Hayward Super Pump for an inground pool.

1) What do you call this "union pipe"? I'm sure there must be a more correct name.... :?

2) How do i plug it for the winter?

thanks!! :)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 51
I am not exactly sure what you are asking about :scratch:

I see 2 valves (maybe gate valves) that I assume are joined by a Tee fitting and then I assume it enters your pump on the left of the picture and it connected to the pump with a union fitting.

Is this an AG or IG pool? Take a bigger picture.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Not sure what it is you are trying to plug.

Why do you need to plug it? If the pump is above water level, then water will no flow out of that pipe.

You can likely find a "pool plug" / "winterizing plug" that would close it up ... Google one of those terms to see pictures.

Hayward uses a union in many of their pumps and filter combinations and the "nose" of the filter side on mine is rounded. Many o f the unions you buy at a pumbing supplier or HD are flat between the two halves.

So this is just called a "union", then? Is that all its called?

And the valves are higher than the water level...i just thought i was supposed to plug up the opening of this big valve for the winter. (as i'm in NY)

The part that screws onto the pump is 1/2 of a typical union. Note that Hayward does not use standard threads so you will not find one that matches the threads at the hardware store if that is what you are thinking.

I do not close my pool, so I am not sure if you would have to plug it or not. I would think if you blew out most of the water and plugged the lines in the pool, that would leave the pipes mostly empty and should not freeze. But, again, I am no expert ;)

Have you read this?
pool-school/closing_in_ground_pool

Mine is similar. Just disconnect the pump at the union and put it inside for the winter. I then lower the water level just below the skimmer and blow out the skimmer line with a shop vac. Next screw a skimmer guard gizmo in the skimmer and close the valve at the other end. Then open the main drain valve and blow back into the main drain with the vac. A powerful vac will blow air out the main drain. Some don't, but that's ok. Just blow the water back as far as possible and quickly close the valve so the air holds the water back. Then get the right size black expandable rubber plug and put it in the open end of the union. You also need to blow out and cap the return lines and do whatever else is necessary for winterizing in your area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.