Is this algae?

Aug 21, 2013
photo_zps06c51d09.jpg

I'm in the process of SLAMing in order to remove what I have perceived to be algae. I began the process yesterday, by adjusting the FC level to 20ppm (based on the shock level recommendations for my CYA level).

I began the process around 3:15pm and checked the FC level approximately once an hour until night set. During that time the FC level remained at 20ppm. The pool was also completely brushed during this time.

Unfortunately, I did not get a reading at dawn, but my 10am reading this morning FC level was 18.5.

All readings have shown an CC level of less than 0.5.

The picture above is what is currently collecting on the line between the shallow and deep end of the pool. The left hand side of the "material" is the slope into the deep end.

What is this stuff? Is it living algae? Is it just dead material that needs to be removed and it collects easily on the top of the slope?

While I'm at it, is there anything I can do to correct the bleeched out look at the edge of the floor and wall on the liner?

Thank you.

Wouldn't dead algae come along with a larger drop in the FC reading?

No pucks have been dropped into the corner of the pool. My wife threw one in the deep end a long time time ago, but otherwise pucks have either been in the skimmer or a float. Granual shock has always been the deep end of the pool and swept if it reached the bottom without dissolving.

The following is a crude drawing of the shape of the pool:

Code:
                                        A
                                    --------
                                   /           \
                                  /             \     B
                                 /               \
                                /                 \
                               /                   \
                               |                   |   C
                               |                   |
                               \                   /
                                \                 /
                                  --           --
                                     --------

The bleaching in the corners of the wall and floors is only prevalent along walls A and B, but does seem to run the entire length of the two walls.

The material is positioned on the line that separates the shallow end of the pool from the deep end of the pool. Specifically, it is on the point where the pool begins to transition to the deep end.

From the side it would appear as:

Code:
     ----m
             \
              \----

Where "m" is the material in question.

Sorry, William, I misread the first part of the thread.

With your water almost clear and just that little bit of dead algae settling out, your chlorine consumption won't be that much....you are likely nearing the end.

It's quite important to vacuum and brush at this stage to get up all the debris. Keep your FC up and you are getting very close to performing the OCLT and passing! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool has three returns. One return located in the shallow end (wall A in the diagram above). The other two are located in the deep end on the wall opposite wall C in the diagram above.

The shallow end return I currently have pointed down and away from the skimmer (basically toward the other two returns).

Both deep end returns are pointed down and toward the pool light (which is on the far end wall, I guess where one would expect it to be).

Is this an appropriate return configuration or is there a standard setup that is considered "best"? I have the current configuration with the belief that pointing down will force better circulation for the bottom of the pool and away from the skimmers to create vortex formation such that debris will circle around to the skimmers.

Is there a suggested method for validating that water circulation is effective?

Is there a suggested method for validating that water circulation is effective?

Well, you want it to go in a circular direction :-D Try this:

Aim all returns slightly downward and left (or right).

You can test how well the circular motion is going with ping pong balls. They should go round and round the pool :cool:

OK. I will try collecting some of the material, as it has collected in the same formation after vacuuming yesterday, and giving it a "scientific" rub between my fingers.

I don't have any Ping-Pong balls laying around, I'll look for a suitable replacement and check the flow pattern.

Thank you all.

... and into the skimmer, and down to the pump, to the filter where it should stay (sung to the tune "Over the river, and through the wood,
To Grandfather's house we go").
At last, chem geek is getting down to my comprehension level :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(Ya' know, now that tune is stuck in my head and I'll be humming it tonight when I dose :shock: :shock: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.