Be careful Midwest.

Jul 22, 2013
Swartz Creek, MI
I checked my FC last night after everyone was done swimming. It was at 1ppm. Crud! I put a half gallon of 10% in the night before. That has been about what has been needed each day for the last few weeks. I guess I've gotten used to cool weather and no swimming. There might be a lot of other people in that same rut. Just a word of caution from my experience.

FC 1
CC .5
CYA 60
I added enough chlorine to get it up to about 15 PPM. I checked it quick this morning before leaving. Just used the OTO. It was a nice dark orange so I think I should be ok. I'll have to keep a better eye on it now that we are finally getting some hot weather here in Michigan.

Any thoughts?

I would recommend using a FAS-DPD chlorine test which is much more accurate. This is the one that uses the powder plus reagent. This test is included in the Recommended Test Kits. With the OTO, your left guessing based on the color shade. Would also suggest using the Pool Calculator to help determine the dosing amounts. Given a CYA of 60 ppm, the target FC is 7 ppm (see Chlorine CYA Chart).

BoDarville said:
I would recommend using a FAS-DPD chlorine test which is much more accurate. This is the one that uses the powder plus reagent. This test is included in the Recommended Test Kits. With the OTO, your left guessing based on the color shade. Would also suggest using the Pool Calculator to help determine the dosing amounts. Given a CYA of 60 ppm, the target FC is 7 ppm (see Chlorine CYA Chart).

I think he was just trying to get a quick sense of security that he'd have enough chlorine in there for the day. If he's doing his own CYA test, he's probably also equipped to do a proper FAS-DPD later.

I was also caught a little short on FC yesterday evening because of the nice uptick in the weather, but our water has been great all summer long, thanks to this website!

Wildly varying usage is normal for me, I go from a covered cloudy day to a hot full sun day with hours of use quite often. 1-1.25 to 3.5 the next day isn't that uncommon, automation would probably be too much work for me. :roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.