Dead algae? pollen? dirt? Help!!!

Jul 21, 2013
Tulsa, OK
I think I had mustard algae, so I followed the rules. Slammed then shocked at ma level for my cya. Water cleared up and chlorine consumption is normal. I have passed the overnight test two more times, but I keep getting dark brown dirt looking streaks at the bottom of my pool. I can not get rid of it.

FC 6.5
Cc 0-.5
PH 7.6
TA 80
CYA 45

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Given the results of your tests, what you are seeing may very well be dirt/pollen. Do these areas move or disperse when you brush them? Does it tend to settle in the same areas? If so, these could be areas of low circulation relative to the rest of the pool. Have you had significant rains lately? That can cause dirt/pollen to be washed out of the air as well as surface areas (including pool covers) and into the pool. Try brushing/vacuuming the areas where the dirt settles and give the filter some extra run time.

A couple of things to help us help you...
  • 1. Please add the state and nearest city in which you live to your profile. Don’t need specific town, nearest major city is fine. Your climate is important to the advice you receive. By doing this, it will appear in all your posts without you having to enter it each time.
    2. Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different.
Here's how to do both of the above: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.

I took your advice and updated my location/ signature. By the way I love this site. Thanks to everyone contributing knowledge/advice.

The dirt? does seem to settle in the same areas, and they are opposite both intake locations, so the poor circulation in these areas does make sense. Also, I live in a new construction area, and they are building a few new homes near me (one directly behind me). Maybe this is dirt flying and settling in my pool. There has been alot of rain recently, however it has been almost a week since we have had any. I have brushed, vacuumed, added floc. I'm at a loss.

I think I figured it out. Every time I used my pool brush to clean off the algae I must have been introducing new algae. I had all of the tools in the pool when I shocked at ma level, so I assumed everything was algae free, but there must still be algae on the brush. I have not been using it and it does not appear to be coming back. Thanks again for this great site. I have been learning a lot on my first pool. I am a believer in the BBB method.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.