need help with CH

dkbrat

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2013
dallas,tx
I have a white line all around the water line on the tile. In the past I have been adding a bottle of scale inhibitor as per the pool store. My CH is 190. I see that I need to have a level of at least 250. I always assumed that white line was calcium.
What gives and how do I get rid of the white line. I also have large "off whiteish" deposits on the natural stone on the spa overflow. I looks large enough that I could take a chisel and hammer to it.

dkbrat said:
I have a white line all around the water line on the tile.
If the pool had been subject to regular trichlor puck use, those can leave a residue similar to what you're seeing on the tile. Another possibility is residue from tanning lotions. Given your low CH, it probably not calcium. Therefore, it should come off fairly easily. Several members who had a similar tile ring reported good success using a Magic Eraser ( a Mr. Clean product) to wipe the tiles with. Should be available in the cleaning section of most grocery stores.

dkbrat said:
I also have large "off whiteish" deposits on the natural stone on the spa overflow. I looks large enough that I could take a chisel and hammer to it.
This is efflorescence which is often mistaken for a heavy calcium buildup. The good news is that efflorescence is not a structural or dangerous problem but it is certainly unsightly and can be VERY difficult to remove. I would remove it from the finished areas with a bristle brush and a solution of water/muriatic acid. I would start with a 4:1 water/acid ratio but be prepared to strengthen it. You will know it's working when it "sizzles" or foams up. Just be a bit careful around the grout.

Almost a year later, thought I would update how I got rid of the white line just in case someone else has this same issue. Leslie pool Descale it spray. Sprayed, left overnight. Next morning was broken down, but a bigger mess. Mixed acid and water, sprayed it on the smeared mess, scrubbed and came right off. Have been on the BBB method just under a year. Keeping the pool completely in balance seems to have kept the white line from coming back. Not much scrubbing required

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.