Diluted CYA testing

Jul 10, 2012
Herndon, VA
Split by moderator from HERE after getting too far off topic. jblizzle

Jbizzle....

Couldnt you also add 1/4 pool water, 1/4 cya reagent, and 50% tap water to test when cya is high?.....and then double the results.

This would save you 1/4 of the cya reagent.

jblizzle said:
Oh the main reason to not do this is that there may not be enough CYA reagent to react with the pool water when the CYA levels are high ... that would still be 1:1 ratio of the pool to reagent. So, at high CYA levels, you likely need the extra reagent.

I have actually used what you stated. After doing the test normally, I dumped out have the mixture and added tap water. BUT, the only reason I was confident was the my CYA was around 70ppm and I was just trying to see if the diluted reading was more obvious around 35ppm.

Re: Help with readings please

Couldnt you also add 1/4 pool water, 1/4 cya reagent, and 50% tap water to test when cya is high?.....and then double the results.

This would save you 1/4 of the cya reagent.

Altering all these test ALWAYS compromises your accuracy and what we teach is testing that is as precise as you can make it.

Saving (20 cents, I think) in reagent when you own a pool that costs thousands and thousands seems penny wise and pound foolish.

When you contemplate how much money you spend monthly on your pool and lifestyle, taking a chance on skewing your test results to save totally insignificant pennies just doesn't add up.

The reason i ask is because i did the cya test this way for my wife's aunts pool.

I tested day 1 using half pool water, half cya. The dot disappeared about 1/4 inch below the 100 mark.

Yesterday ( day 2), i tested using 1/4 pool water, 1/4 cya reagent, and half tap water.

The dot disppeared right at the 100 line. I doubled the results and came up with cya 200.

GuinnessPhish said:
The reason i ask is because i did the cya test this way for my wife's aunts pool.

I tested day 1 using half pool water, half cya. The dot disappeared about 1/4 inch below the 100 mark.

Yesterday ( day 2), i tested using 1/4 pool water, 1/4 cya reagent, and half tap water.

The dot disppeared right at the 100 line. I doubled the results and came up with cya 200.

That does not mean the 200ppm was correct. It could have been off if there was not enough reagent to react with all the CYA in the pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.