Pump Pad Renovation

Jul 11, 2013
Puerto Rico
Hi!

I have started a Major Renovation Project on my Pump Pad and will post the steps here for anyone out there to learn from my mistakes and maybe even get some ideas! :-D

I will be able to dedicate 3-4 hours a day to the project because of work.

Equipment leaving the Pad:
- Hayward Super Pump (1.5hp)
- Timer Cabinet
- 1.5" Piping & them red ball valves

Equipment coming in:
- Hayward Eco Star VSP
- Aqua Plus SWG & Automation System
- New 2" Piping at the Pad
- Pentair Valves (they were the best I could find down here in Puerto Rico)

The Eco Star is a 3hp pump so it will be set at 2000rpm max and 600rpm min (current max is 3450rpm but this can cause some damage).

The filter (which remains) is a Hayward DE 3620 filter.

Picture 01 is the Pump Pad area before it all started

Day 1:

Picture 02

As of today the water heater is gone (done Sunday) and replaced by a Tankless Heater, all pipes have been cut off and have installed the Spa Drain Line first.

The Spa Drain and plugging the Dang thing:

Plugging the Spa Drain took me quite some time as I could not get it to seal so I could put the 2" union, elbow & valve. I finally got it sealed using the little white handle from the blue pool brush stick with some old beach ball plastic and a trash bag.

Picture 03 is the Spa Drain Valve installed. Will keep Spa plugged until tomorrow to give time for the PVC Cement to dry nice and good.

Plan for tomorrow is to complete the piping and install Pump & Filter (after a complete overhaul of new air relief valve, grids and all O-rings)

Keep tuned!

J

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 132
A couple observations:
- Make sure you square off the cuts on those vertical PVC pipes and debur them ... the cuts look slanted
- Generally the shut-off valves work better when the water is entering the valve on the handle side (opposite the picture you showed). You should be able to rotate the handl 180deg.

- Any reason you did not use a 3-way valve between the spa and pool suction line? Oh maybe because of the 3rd suction line.

Thanks!

Yes, I'm cleaning, squaring & deburring all PVC before installing everything.

Thanks about the handle & will rotate.

I'm not planning on installing 3 way valves but will leave it so it will be easy to install in the future.

J

Not much done today. Rain & hurting my back held me back.

If I can't complete by Saturday, I will hook up the system like it was (old control box by passing timer) and set the speed, etc.
Week after next will do the Automation & SWG (travel next week).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.