Possible Algae - New Salt Cell

Feb 26, 2012
Okay so our salt cell went out about 2 weeks ago-ish.

I've noticed what looks like some slight algae building up on the walls of the pool and spa. (picture attached).

I've just received our new salt cell and was about to install it but thought to ask TFP first what you all think I should do?

Do I install and shock, or shock then install or what are your thoughts?

Test as of today:
FC=0
CC=0
PH=8
TA=170 (always high as we have very hard water)
CH=280 (see above about hard water)
CYA=35
Salt=2620

As stated this will become or was a salt pool before and I just got the brand new salt cell ready to install.
ANy and all help will greatly be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo22.JPG
    photo22.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 87
You need to SLAM and do an OCLT. Once you kill the algae you can install the salt cell.

Edit - hit submit before I was done.

The details are in Pool School. Usually you turn the salt cell off during a SLAM anyway. Once you pass the over night chlorine loss test you can install the salt cell. Usually your CYA should be higher with a salt cell but it is easier to SLAM at your existing level so I would leave it alone.

You can play with the CYA and salt levels after the algae is dead.

You need to SLAM the pool. [slam:1i1yyl0b][/slam:1i1yyl0b]

Typically the SWG is not used for this process. So, I would not bother installing the new cell until you pass the 3 criteria and are ready for it to maintain the FC.

BTW, you CYA is fine SLAMing, but you will want to raise it up closer to 70-80ppm when the SWG takes over. Be sure to lower the pH before starting. You also may want to order R-0871 refills now as you are likely to run out before you finish SLAMing.

Also to note, for the most part the water is pretty clear.

Is it possible to SLAM a pool using just bleach? According to pool calculator to get my 10500 gal pool from FC 0 to 16 (based on a 40 CYA) I need to add about 332 oz of 6% bleach.

You should ONLY use bleach to SLAM as it has no side-effects. Note that most bleach has changed to 8.25% ... check the label.

Sounds like you should read Pool School some more. When you add bleach you are adding FC. CC is the bad stuff that can result as things are consumed by the FC. Ideally the CC should always be 0. Any more than 0.5ppm and that is a sign of a problem.

And you should certainly be brushing during the process. And cleaning the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

phoenixtx said:
Also to note, for the most part the water is pretty clear.

Is it possible to SLAM a pool using just bleach? According to pool calculator to get my 10500 gal pool from FC 0 to 16 (based on a 40 CYA) I need to add about 332 oz of 6% bleach.
Yes bleach is all I use anymore. Raise the FC to your shock level based on your CYA and hold it there by adding bleach as needed. Check every hour or two at first to keep the level up. Brush, run your filter 24/7 and brush some more. Read the articles in Pool School while you wait. All the details are there as well as an excellent explanation of water chemistry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
phoenixtx said:
How long after I add the bleach can I test the water for FC level?

30 minutes should be fine. Just make sure you're running the pump/filter the entire time as that is part of SLAMing along with brushing. Get into nooks and crannies as well if you can. In your picture brush that algae on the walls and anywhere you see it. Get those buggers into the water column where they cannot hide, there is no shelter here!

I know it seems like a arduous process but it really isn't and the results are pretty much guaranteed. The most important part is Sustain Level and Maintain (maintain being the key). The brushing and filter monitoring is to get the algae into the water column, killed and then the dead stuff removed by your filter.

Keep reading the SLAM process and follow it. Your pool will clear. You don't look that bad in all honesty but you will have to do your part to brush that algae and get it killed and subsequently filtered out.

phoenixtx said:
My issue now is that from a FC 0 i needed to get to a FC 15 and i added the 250oz of 8.25% bleach and only got it too 9.6. Should i add more bleach?

Yes. Get your FC up to shock level and maintain. That's why in the start of the SLAM process you should be testing ever hour or two. How long ago did you add the bleach and do you have good circulation in your pool? It's possible your pool is bigger than you think.

Or it's possible (likely really) the chlorine is doing it's job. I assume you added the bleach slowly in front of a return as instructed in pool school?

Pump is running 24x7 now, right?

At the beginning of SLAMing the FC may be quickly consumed as it does it's job which is why you monitor it closely. Also why you brush as I said to get the algae into the water and circulated. Every few hours and add more bleach if needed. As the chlorine does its work and as you maintain the levels you'll be adding less and less until you pass the 3 criteria for SLAMing.

You added FC to get to shock level, you tested an hour later and it wasn't enough. That means add more FC and maintain.

Well I'm still in the SLAMing process, I thought I could run to a local Leslie's pool supplies and pick up more R-0871 (brown bottle) low and behold the brown bottle I actually came home with was R0002, called around several pool stores and none of them carry this refill. Interesting?

I know its a shot in the dark but anyone from The Woodlands area (North of Houston) know of a pool store that carries refill Taylor R0871?

Otherwise I'm shooting in the dark here.

Thanks

You will need to find a commercial supply pool store to have any hope of finding it locally. Otherwise get it ordered ASAP.

Shocking that they sold you the wrong stuff, and I am sure they were adamant that it was the same. :hammer:

Try this commercial Leslie's in Houston, 3780 Westchase Dr. Houston, TX 77042 832-251-8503.

And here is another one, 18209 Chisholm Trail #103 Houston, TX 77060 218-821-9501.

If these stores don't have it plan on ordering it from the link in my signature.

Also another questions, at no time through the SLAM process did the pressure on my filter go up. Its been sitting at 13ish the whole time, which is what it was from 19 when I cleaned it a few months ago. Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.