Advice with solar panel and pump

FYI, the true pump rating is based on the list HP and the service factor (SF). Manufacturers play games with the numbers for marketing.
For example taking the Pentair Whisperflo line:
WFDS-4 is called "full rated" with a HP = 1 and SF = 1.65 so the SFHP = 1.65
WFDS-26 is called "up rated" with a HP = 1.5 and the SF = 1.1 so the SFHP = 1.65
These 2 pumps are IDENTICAL besides the numbers on the sticker.

Some above ground pumps have a SF < 1 and are designated with the SPL. It may even say on the sticker something like HP = 1.5 and SF = .66 making the SFHP = 1.0 or maybe the SF = .8 making the SFHP = 1.2 which would be the same as a non-SPL motor with a HP = 1 and a SF = 1.2

On top of this, the wet-ends are designed differently, so all 1.5HP pumps may not perform the same. For example the Pentair Superflo is a smaller pump than the Whisperflo even though the HP may be the same.

For AG pumps, one consideration is the head-loss. Most are NOT self-priming because they are below water level and are called "low-head" pumps because they are generally right next to the pool and there is not a large resistance to the flow ... so the pump does not have to work as hard. These "low-head" pumps may not have to ability to pump water up 20+ feet for a high solar system.

What I am not sure of is what the "head rating" {I made this term up} is for your pump.

Wow, sorry that got so long.

Thx, That wasn't too long at all when we are about to drop 1k on panels.. How can I find that out(head rating) I have been reading hydraulics section but some of this is kinda hard to understand. Which at work I run hydraulic motors and large blackmeer pumps. So I am not completely lost

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, according to the curve, if should be able to pump the water up 50 feet of so, but that does not account for the losses in the filter, and the other plumbing and in the panels.

My Superflo curve starts out around 65 feet a zero flow and it is I think just adequate to run my solar at good flow on a single story. But I have a lot more plumbing to the house than you do.

You can certainly help by using 2" pipe and fittings for everything you add.

BTW, I PM'd Mark, so hope he will help.

The Dynamo should be big enough to handle the priming for solar. It is classified as a AG pump but it is self priming and has medium head. I would definitely try it out first before buying a new pump.

Oh, Light bulb. I will go with 2" Now that I look it over with new ideas I can run female threaded pvc, the only restriction will be the skimmer to pump basket. Which I do not even use the skimmer that much except to go thru, I pull from bottom under ladder, when noone is swimming.

Attachments

• 20130813_231531.jpg
    20130813_231531.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20130731_230058.jpg
    20130731_230058.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 35
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.