My idea for a simple solar heater... will it work?

Sep 22, 2011
I have a 30k vinyl swimming pool. The liner is pretty dark and it gets full sun all day, so it's generally pretty warm, but I'd like to bump it up a little if I can. I came up with this idea:

Basically, just attaching a PVC pipe to the return jet, and then running that up to the pool deck where it would be connected to a series of black PVC pipes, arranged like the attached picture shows. I could use an inline switch to turn off flow to the solar array and have the return jet go directly into the pool.

My question is whether this will be efficient enough to make any kind of a difference. My guess is the solar array would be about ten feet long by about two or three feet wide. Any solar experts want to give me an opinion on whether this would work?

Kevin

It would likely be cheaper and more efficient to just get one of the true solar panels. Some pretty inexpensive options on Ebay that make the DIY route not as beneficial cost wise. Of course your space availability plays a role.

Solar is based on sqft of area so the more area the better. Also higher flow rates through the panel are more efficient and add more heat.

The design of the panel is just as important as the sq/ft of area used. Your design picture does not really explain how this setup is going to go together. What kind of fittings? They can get expensive fast as the number increases. It looks as though each run would only be at the most 3 ft long. No where near long enough. If you ran the piping crosswise at a length of 10ft long you would get better heat absorption but still it would be too little to be effective. I would recommend looking up rimstar DIY coil solar pool heater. They have some good examples of DIY coils that work. I think the most important thing in DIY system is to still treat it like it is a commercial system with the proper plumbing design to and from the panels. You should be thinking about going with maybe 3 or 4 3ft(4ft would be better if room permits) coil panels, with the max amount of piping allowed in each coil, connected in parallel.

skeeter

I see three points of concern about your design:
1. The gaps between the pipes - taking into account the space required by PVC T's, your pipes will leave a lot of open space, where sun is not captured. Ideally you want as full coverage as possible for the area. If 50% of the space is gaps, you are missing 50% of the sun.
2. Your T's are going to cost a lot, especially compared to a coil type system which would not have the gap problem.
3. 30k gallons is a lot. I'm not sure if a single panel like this, especially with all those gaps, is going to have much impact. If I did my math right, you need 250k btu's to raise the temp of the pool 1 degree. A single commercial 4x10 panel generates something like 40k btu/day max, and this design would output much less than that. Rough napkin math, a setup like that will lift the pool a fraction of a degree per day. (someone please check my math)

If you want to go forward with idea in general, I suggest you go the coil route. Although not as pretty, you'll get a lot more heat for a lot less money.

We've done this for the last 3 years.....not a month goes by that we don't fight a leak of some sort. While it does make a difference, panels from online would work much better with less work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.