Start Capacitor replacement question

May 9, 2013
Bensalem, PA
Hi,

From doing some research in the forums, I've come to the conclusion that my Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump needs a new start capacitor. I turned off the pump yesterday to clean out my skimmer baskets and when I attempted to restart the pump, all I got was a humming sound.

I checked the inside of the pump to see if something was obstructing the pump and it was clear.

My question is, would I have to actually dis-connect the pump from the filter and pool in order to replace the capacitor?

I'm not sure I want to actually disconnect the pump at this moment, because I can't think of a way to stop the pool water from draining out all over the place once I take the pump from the platform.

If I have to remove the pump to fix it, is there a trick or any other suggestions anyone would have to stop the water from coming out of the pool?

You do not have to disconnect the pump from the plumbing. You don't even have to remove the motor.

There is either a metal can that makes a bump on the motor that the capacitor is under or it's inside the back cover. Make sure the power is off!

You should not have to disconnect the pump or motor from the plumbing ... assuming you have access to the cover on the back of the motor.

Some motors have 2 caps, one in the rear cover and one on the side ... I am not sure which is the start and which is the run cap though :scratch:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.